abnormally low game/bench. performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

napoleonus

Beta member
I've recently refitted my PC with all the latest goodies--which left me on the edge of bankrupcy. However, I've noticed that the system is performing much worse than it is expected to--there are frequent framerate issues in games (FarCry, Swat4, WoW) and low ratings in 3dMark03 and 05 (I score consistently in the lower 10 procentile). I've done all the common-sense basics, including extensive multi-programm spyware/virus checks, installing new video card drivers etc...but there is still no change. One thing I did notice, however, is that my CPU scores are always very low--and that turning on 3d sound in games causes dramatic fps drops. It stands to reason that if my CPU's malfunctioning, the sound-mixing takes up a huge share of its capacity and thsu causes the slowdowns...Nonetheless, I haven't been able to find the source of the problem--and after having spent the entire day looking, I'm rather desperate for help:) Physical inspection shows proper connections, reinstalling windows gives no improvement, overclocking by about 10% does little also....if anyone has an idea, or at least a guess, of what I'm missing--by all means, elighten me;)

System specs: HIS XT 800 PE, P4 3.2 ghz, 2x maxtor 80 gig hardrives, dvd-r, 300W PSU, Asus P4P800 E Deluxe motherboard w/ integrated Realtek 5.1 sound.

P.S.--could the issue be the insufficient power supply? However, there is no system instability whatsoever--just slow performance. Unplugging everything , including 1 hard drive, floppy, DVD, a few fans didn't cause any performance improvement.

P.P.S.--I only have one auxillary power connector plugged into the XT 800PE (6 pin)...anyone know if any others need to be plugged in there?

I also tried SiSoftwareSandra, but I think I'll need a degree in computer science before I figure out what the hell the results there mean:) I'll set aquamark to download before I go to bed (I'm from central europe, so it's past 3am here...heh, and I'm on a tech forum..what a geek!).

As to my scores:

3dMark 03--11300 3dmarks, 581 cpu marks. detailed results below

GT1 - Wings of Fury 211.9 fps
GT2 - Battle of Proxycon 89.9 fps
GT3 - Troll's Lair 72.8 fps
GT4 - Mother Nature 77.9 fps
CPU Test 1 67.9 fps
CPU Test 2 9.8 fps

Isn't the discrepancy b/w the first and second CPU test Fps somewhat strange?

And my 2005 results:

5600-5700 3dmarks (driver dependant)
2874 CPU

Is it normal to get 25-30 fps on the game tests and about heh...1-2 fps on the cpu test with my hardware? Seems rather improbable...

My results for the 2003 tests...I'd find and post my 05's, too, but I'm afraid I'd start drooling over the keyboard from fatigue:)

its normal to get 1-2 FPS on the CPU tests, everybody does. and ur scores were right on par for where they should be, that is if ur getting 5600-5700 on an X800 XT PE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom