9800pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since your old card was NVIDIA, you probably still have nv jiles in your computer. The uninstall program does not remove everything. Get something like Detonator Destroyer. This will remove those files conflicting with your ATI.

Go through the ATI Control panel and write down all of your settings.What refresh rate do you have your system running on?
What resolution do you have your system and in game set to?
I had a similar problem with an older game.Reminded me of having the hicups :[ .

it is like the hicups! ill write down the settings a bit later, i have already tooled with them.... im gonna try the mobo from my other computer, along with cpu to make sure its not an issue with that. In fact, i might just use that hard drive too, now that i think about it. Ill post with results in a little bit.

Thanks everyone!
Jeff Oldson

if this doesn't work, ill check with you folks some more, followed by calling companies, followed by a possible return/exchange :-\
Im gonna check neweggs policy on exchanges.... i might just go for a 5900xt because its cheaper and hoepfully works.

If your using a Radeon 9xxx card, always set it to Direct3D. Although it doesn't seem to work for you, try formatting your hardrive, re-partition it, and reinstall windows.

Until ATI release newer drivers to fix radeon's openGL support, ATI cards will always have problems in OpenGL games (counterstrike).

direct3d made the problem worse i would say, and i saw rather low framrates (i think i was seeing some 40fps there for a bit). The text problem mentioned earlier was gone, but the hicup was still present if not worse. Additionally, i tried the card on another computer and had the same problems.
not only do i hicup in cs, i get really unsmooth game play in the vietcong demo included with the card, i get hicups and unsmooth gameplay in the farcry demo, and im sure if i tried more games, the list would go on. I am going to call Hightech (the company who made the card) and if they dont have any ideas, i will contact newegg seeking a refund.

a 9800pro shouldn't "hiccup" in any current game, even farcy with maxed settings.:D

get a refund or replace it with a REAL ATI 9800pro

i have the XT model and love it, it smacks down all current games. and from what i have seen in benches is slightly better than a 5950 ultra and when HL2 comes out....the 9800XT runs about 25% faster than the 5950 as far as framerate. and the pro ran about 15% faster than the 5950 (but the pro is slower in current games)

i know, this is why im pissed off :-(

i was expecting it to destroy everything i would want to play for the next couple months, and instead it cant even play counterstrike like i want (a game thats from the 90's, lol). Hightech is supposed to be a good brand, and it comes with that nice heatsink, but I guess i just got a bad one or something. I think ill trade it in for a 5900xt for a lower cost. What a disappointment! I dont know whos fault this is....ATI, Hightech, mine perhaps. Whatever it is, it sucks.

does anyone know if i should classify this as an RMA return, or an RMA refund on newegg? The product is defective in my mind, but i dont want to get another of the same. On the other hand, it says to classify it as a return if it is defective.... i dont know what to do. I dont mind paying 15% if it means i can get rid of this thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom