9800 PROs

Status
Not open for further replies.

s3an

Solid State Member
I would like to know the difference of these following 9800pros. The difference in price is quite alot. I don't know which one is good for the money. How would the cheaper ones compare with the more expensive one?

#1• 9800Pro 128 : 128M DDR TV-o DVi-i AGP8x with drivers AGP8x (oem) @ $236.00
http://atic.ca/index.php?page=LongDesc&sku=06643
- Would OEM make that much difference in quality?

#2• 9800Pro 128M box : Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB DDR AGP8X w/ TV-Out DVi-i retail @ $290.00
http://atic.ca/index.php?page=LongDesc&sku=00640

#3• Radeon 9800Pro 128 oem : Radeon 9800 Pro 128M DDR, VGA, DVI, TV-O, AGP8x ( oem) @ $285.00
http://atic.ca/index.php?page=LongDesc&sku=02060

#4•Radeon 9800Pro 128M : Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB DDR AGP8X DVI & TV-o (Retail) @ $315.00
http://atic.ca/index.php?page=LongDesc&sku=00439

prices in CAD btw.

Thanks in advance.

Well all that I can say is that the first one might be locked up(meaing that you wont be able to overclock it) because it is OEM, and I dont know how that works with hardware or anything, only a guess. And the last one cost the most because it is in All In Wonder, and that is like a remote control and stuff and all these special options, and I dont really know about the other ones, I guess that the guyz on here will be able to explain those maybe

All OEM means is that you only get the card, therefore no free games, software, manual, and sometimes no drivers. With some OEM items you will only get the card wrapped lovingly in bubble wrap. OEM does not mean you are getting anything different within the card.

OEM is just a way for companies to order lots of graphics cards without LOTS and I mean LOTS of boxes. You think you have trouble with boxes when you order hardware, think about how companies get rid of 100+ boxes.

As str7lazy points out, the last card on the list is an All-in-Wonder - has TV-tuner, remote etc.

If you feel uncomfortable getting just the card in bubble wrap then buy the cheapest "retail" or "boxed" version.

My 9800 Pro is the Sapphire "Lite" version, it came in a nice colourful box, with drivers and power extension cable.

Ohh thanks guys.. Is 256 bit a big difference compared to 128bit?

The 256 bit version of the 9800 Pro is the only version still in production.

I don't believe there is any big performance difference.

There is a difference, if only i can find the article...

the 256-bit beats it by 30%!!!

Of course there's a difference... its double the bandwith. 9800PRO 128-bit is like 9600xt.

only get the aiw if you have money to burn and if you NEED it. i would love to have it but i'm on a tight budget so i can't have it. it's the same thing as all the other ones just with the tunner and remote so you can watch tv on your comp, if that's a must then get it. i thought there was something better about vid editing with the aiw but i may be mistaken, if you're a gamer then get the ATI 9800 Pro, it'll do you just fine and it's up to you if you want to go with the 256, i think i'm gonna go 256, but 256 cost extra muhla. oh yeah, get the boxed card

this may help to,Those numbers are the series it belongs to. Example:

-Radeon 9500 series
-Radeon 9600 series
-Radeon 9700 series
-Radeon 9800 series

The letters are what makes up the series. They are like ranks. They can either be cheaper for people to afford or faster for those who have money to spend.

~All In Wonder = Card with TV tuner, Expensive.
~SE = Special Edition; also known as sucky edition. Cheap to afford. Price/performance is low.
~None = Regular series card. Runs at normal condition.
~Pro = Optimized for performance, a bit pricey, represents it's series.
~XT = Overclocked, expensive compared to Pro. Only availiable to the 9600, 9800, and X800 series.
~XT PE = Overclocked even more, in limited quantities. Only availiable to the X800 series.

taken from WQ87, it helped me and it may help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom