9600XT and Monitor Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

n00bjabi

Beta member
Problem: I've got a 9600XT, and since last night, I've been having major problems with it. I'm not sure if it's the video card, or monitor, or both - but I can do almost nothing on my computer. The only way I can safely access the internet is with the video card drivers uninstalled. What happens is that the display gets cut off somehow, the monitor turns black, and eventually goes to standby mode.

Information:
The Display Dies When....
-I attempt to open Trillian 3, and I receive an instant message.
-I open FireFox and attempt to view any website
-I open internet explorer and attempt to view websites
-When I attempt to do anything internet related

Exceptions:
-The display will not freeze nor will my display die down as long as I'm not using the internet. I can play video games for hours on end and nothing will go wrong - I can listen to music, watch movies, etc - I played NFSU2 on LAN with my friend for about 5 hours today, and nothing went wrong.
-The display will not freeze if my cable modem is powered down, or my router unplugged
-The display will not freeze when I'm running in safe mode
-The display will not freeze if I run windows without the drivers installed
-I can do anything as I normally would, with the exception of anything that involves the internet - at which point my screen goes black, and eventually my sound glitches and I need to hard-restart my computer.

Solutions I've tried
-Uninstalled and reinstalled ATI's Latest Catalyst drivers more than a dozen times
-Uninstalled and reinstalled the ATI Omega Drivers nearly half a dozen times
-Re-seated my video card into it's AGP slot on my motherboard
-Cleaned the inside of my case, including the video card
-Tried to run everything with the side of my case off for better cooling
-Tried to underclock the card by about 20mhz
-System restored to a week before the problem happened
-Disabled all startup services
-Reinstalled most of my programs
-Turned off the computer for an hour and allowed it to cool
-Removed all traces of previous ATI drivers and completely reinstalled them on several occasions
-Scandisked and defragmented my hard drives

System Specs:
CPU: AMD Athlonx XP 2200
RAM: 1GB Corsair
Vid Card: Sapphire Radeon 9600 XT
Motherboard: ASUS A7V8X-X
PSU: Antec 450 Watt
Drivers: Latest drivers for just about everything, firmware updated, BIOS and Vid Card drivers as well. Everything is up to date.

I've tried just about everything I can think of, I've consulted all of my friends and we're all stumped. I have no idea why the video card or display itself is affected when I access the internet. I'm really confused by the fact that I can do intense gaming for hours on end, without seeing any sign of the display freezing - but when I do something as simple as checking my email, everything messes up. The errors themselves seem to revolve around Firefox, Trillian, and Internet Explorer. Gaim does not seem to be affected, nor does WinAmp or any of my p2p programs. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I would look at some Chipset Updates or a BIOS update.
I looked into your Motherboard Specs and the BIOS version 1009 addresses compatibility issues with ATI cards.Of course getting the latest 1013 BIOS will also have those updates as wellASUS A7V8X-X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom