950w

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMajor

PowerQuest / Opera
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/other/display/20041126101213.html

A Japan-based company has started to sell its power supply units with maximum output of up to 950W, which is the worldÂ’s highest performance for desktops. As modern central processing units and graphics cards continue to devour more and more power, high-end personal computerÂ’s PSU requirements will continue to increase and such PSUs are likely to gain popularity.

SNE, a Japanese maker of various hardware aimed at enthusiasts and overclockers, recently started to sell its 950W, 900W and 850W power supply units, claiming the worldÂ’s record PSUs. The devices, however, can draw peak wattage only in extreme cases. In typical cases the power of the PSUs is 750W, 700W and 650W respectively, which is still among the worldÂ’s top power supply units.

PSUs from SNE can power typical ATX as well as EPS12V systems, which means that the devices can be used for both desktop and workstation/server computers. The power supplies are equipped with 5 connectors for Serial ATA, 4 connectors for mini-Molex and 4 connectors for Molex plugs. The top, 950W (model FSRP950LGA), PSU can draw 34A on 3.3V and 5V connectors and from 14A to 18A on various 12V connectors, which is not higher compared to top offerings from companies like Antec. This may mean that the PSUs from SNE are designed for server and workstation platforms that require extreme wattage to feed multiple hard disk drives and microprocessors, rather than ability draw extreme current on high-speed components, such as top graphics cards or latest processors.

High-end system components, such as Advanced Micro DevicesÂ’s Athlon 64 FX-55 chip, or IntelÂ’s Pentium 4 Extreme Edition 3.46GHz chip, require extremely powerful power supplies, as they consume more than 100W of power in peak cases, and also tend to need for very high current of about 80A (in case of AMD Athlon 64 FX-55), which not many contemporary mainboards and power supply units can provide.

Modern graphics cards also consume of about 80W in peak cases, X-bit labs has learnt. Furthermore, NVIDIA Corp. recently said that those who plan to install a couple of GeForce 6800 GT or GeForce 6800 Ultra graphics cards into a single computer to get extreme speed should also acquire 550W – 600W PSUs, as typically high-end graphics sub-systems collaborate with top graphics processors in ultra-expensive PCs.

SNEÂ’s 950W, 900W and 850W power supply units cost about $570, $475 and $427 in Tokyo, Japan, Akiba PC Hotline web-site notes.

WHY??!!! on earth would u need that much power seems sorta useless right now anyway
and costs way..... WAY too much money

isnt it possible to just run 2x 500w power supplies that you can get for 80 bucks? just curious

Yeh I mean, your stuck if your 1000w PSU breaks, whereas with a couple of 500w at least you could probably salvage one unless it was a serious problem, which affected both.

Retro.

For me, it's just completely unnecessary. I am currently using a 550W PSU and that will keep me up to date with all of my components for some time.

-Dan The Man

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom