8X display card VS 4X AGP ... - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2003, 01:50 AM   #11 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

That Radeon 9000 pro will work in any slot you put it into, though 4x and 8x would be the best. The card inst powerul enough to even saturate the 4x bus and could hardly saturdate the 2x. The 8x slot will automatically slow itself to whatever the card supports, though the card will run fine in any mode.

Old 11-20-2003, 04:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
True Techie

I don't know much about Radeon but if you have Pentium 4, you must use the 4x or 8x unless you want to burn your chipset.

Old 11-20-2003, 04:32 PM   #13 (permalink)
True Techie

Is there really any software out there ATM that will utilize 8X AGP to the fullest?
Old 11-20-2003, 07:01 PM   #14 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Blueman
Is there really any software out there ATM that will utilize 8X AGP to the fullest?
well hardware is the thing that utilizes it, unless you mean games. No card out there can currently full saturate the AGP 8x, but some cards, like the 9800 pro, can saturate a 4x slot.
Old 11-21-2003, 03:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by g5orbust
well hardware is the thing that utilizes it, unless you mean games. No card out there can currently full saturate the AGP 8x, but some cards, like the 9800 pro, can saturate a 4x slot.
Much better way of putting it g5orbust, full saturate is what i was asking. I realize that the hardware must support the 8x AGP card first of all, but my (badly worded) question was for software. Games would definately be on the for-front, but maybe there's some video rendering software used that supports 8x AGP? Not sure myself, but I'm waiting for them games! :-P

Closed Thread