8800GT SLI is better than HD3870 crossfire

Status
Not open for further replies.
I knew that you can only tri sli the gtx and ultra already... but i was just talking to my friend about a little bit ago... Is it a marketing thing? that they want you to spend more money to be able to do it? or is it just not physically possible to do tri sli with those lower cards?

The GTX and Ultra both have 2 sli connections, everything below those only have 1. So there is no physical way to do tri-sli on them. Partly yes it is marketing, because they want people that plan to have "the ultimate" to have to buy the best (read: most expensive) cards.

Think all of the higher end 98xx will have them? (including the equivilent of 8800gts 512?)

8800-ultra-overall-1.jpg

Hm, i think i see it... its behind the first sli connector right?

But, youi know how you can like... put an 8800 gtx bios on an 8800 gts or something... You can't physically mod the 8800 gts also in any way to make it 3 way sli?

Either way, the 3 way sli is just not efficent or cost effective so i cant say i am dissapointed that i bought 8800 gt's lol

3waysli.jpg

OMG look at that waste of freaking ports... lol 6 monitors.

I have noticed that many people here claim that crossfire scales better, and that HD3870 crossfire performs better than 8800GT SLI. And all those claims are based on one old review from experience.com

I have now a more recent benchmark that use a newer drivers, and it proves that 8800GT SLI is better than HD3870 crossfire

Here is the review
AMD's Radeon HD 3870 X2 video card - The Tech Report - Page 6

Note: This is a review for HD3870 X2, but it also shows how two HD3870 in crossfire performs against two 8800GT in SLI
In that review, they're using a beta driver not actually available to the public (first driver made for 3870 X2's), for all their ATI cards.
Besides, other reviews tell a different story.

Meanwhile, I'm going to use Catalyst 8.2 for my 3870's.

Besides, other reviews tell a different story.

Oh really ?!

Why you don't show us some of those reviews, instead of just saying that "other reviews tell a different story" ?

All the reviews I saw except the one from Experience(dot)com are showing that 8800GT in SLI beats HD3870 crossfire on most cases.

Call of Duty 4 : Crossfire vs. SLI: Radeon HD38x0 vs GeForce 8800 GT

This another review that shows that 8800GT SLI performs better in many games specially in popular games such as COD4 and Crysis

Note: This review is using the same driver that was used at Experience(dot)com

In that review, they're using a beta driver not actually available to the public (first driver made for 3870 X2's), for all their ATI cards.

So, what ?

AMD lovers will always try to find excuse by blaming drivers

Anyway, the performance of 8800GT SLI and HD3870 crossfire vary a lot from game to game. At least, say that HD3870 crossfire performs on par with 8800GT SLI. But don't try to say that HD3870 crossfire is better because that is questionable

I'm going to use Catalyst 8.2 for my 3870's.

Nvidia video cards are getting better performance in SLI after each driver release as well

GTS512 SLI owns both of them, so hush. And soon my gx2 SLI will own that ;) Oh hay, who's going to blow their 600 dollar rebate check on computer equipment.

Dont think the crossfire x drivers are out yet. I would imagine that nvidia has figured out how to make quad SLI work a bit better in the 2 years since the 7950.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom