80gb showing 70gb?

Status
Not open for further replies.
it is because of formating and if it is the HD with Windows on it that takes up space. If you ever read the little * beside the size of HD it says something like formatted capacity may vary.

not really

mines took 14gb

my 200gb shows as 186

maybe some space was taken when i partitioned it?

Its because a difference in calculations. Manufacturers usually consider (probably for profit reasons and knowing the normal public doesn't know the difference) 1 KB to be equal to 1000 bytes. The ACTUAL size, in decimal, is 1 kilobyte is equal to 1024 bytes. Now increase the to GB (losing 24 bytes per kb adds up) and thats where the lost space is. I can do a chart, or just google it to explain it for you.

Picture a hard drive as nothing more than a super long line of mailboxes, each mailbox can hold anywhere from 1000-4000 envelopes.But, these boxes arent numbered when its first setup(like an unformatted drive), so you have to number them into groups so you can store stuff where you can find it again, but each numbered box cant hold mail,so you lose some mail boxes, same with the hard drive, when the filesystem is indexed, the spots marking each block cant hold data, they get changed into indexes or inodes.On a huge drive, theres a whole bunch of inodes, one for each 1k to 4k of disk space depending on filesystem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom