7800gtx 512mb

Status
Not open for further replies.
gaara said:
Far as I'm concerned this isn't much different than a 6800GT/Ultra...same core, they've just speedbinned them differently and in this case added memory to further trick the gullible consumer

And just think how many gullible people there are that will buy into this crap :eek:

gaara said:
Far as I'm concerned this isn't much different than a 6800GT/Ultra...same core, they've just speedbinned them differently and in this case added memory to further trick the gullible consumer
Why do you say that? Yes, all they really did was modify the core a little, bump up the clocks and slap an extra 256mb on, the end result is:
550/1800 clockspeeds will give some insane preformance. Anybody thinking of enabling soft shadows in f.e.a.r.?

i feel bad for those who bought the 256 mb7800 gtx...but remember that eventually 256 mb of vram wont be enough for windows vista.

Why do you say that? Yes, all they really did was modify the core a little, bump up the clocks and slap an extra 256mb on, the end result is:
550/1800 clockspeeds will give some insane preformance. Anybody thinking of enabling soft shadows in f.e.a.r.?
They didn't modify the core at all, if they did they wouldn't be marketing it as a 7800GTX, they'd be calling it a 7900 or something else...all they did was flash a new bios and possibly bump up the vcore slightly...I gurantee that these cores will have little overclockability and the exisiting 7800s will be able to do these same speeds with the same type of cooling

but remember that eventually 256 mb of vram wont be enough for windows vista.
I had no idea Microsoft was planning on making Doom 4...

I'm sticking with Windows XP, there is going to be a lot of hassle wtih the software protection stuff making it impossible for my to download or created media without paying. Unless they fix that, I'm not even gonna think about getting Vista.

Yea although having 512 RAM won't help current games (except Doom 3 and Quake 4) but think about the games that will come out will probably be optimized for 512.

This generation uses 128-256 RAM but next generation will probably be 256-512MB RAM.

The new GTX uses Samsung's new RAM which allows clocks up to 900MHz (1800 MHz)

gaara said:
and the exisiting 7800s will be able to do these same speeds with the same type of cooling
When it comes to cooling, we know Nvidia is using a new type and we kind of expect dual slot cooling because of the chip's high frequency. Nvidia is still using 110 nanometre based G70 chip, but it managed to clock them more than we ever managed to using clock water cooler cards. If you recall, 520MHz was the highest possible clock that we achieved and here here is the link to refresh your memory. Our cards worked at 500MHz stable but Nvidia managed to clock its new cards to 550MHz and can still cool them with air. We believe that Nvidia tweaked its existing PCB design big time so managing to get those cards to such high speeds.
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=27368

Well I probably am going to get it because I am going to wait a month or two before I start buying because Oblivion is delayed to Q2 2006; and that is one of the games that I want to play the most. I wonder how good this card will do with UT2007 when it comes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom