754 or 939?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wasson

Beta member
I'm looking to build my self a new computer and was wondering the merits of choosing 754 over 939 or vice versa.

I'm currently looking at one of these set ups:

754:
Gigabyte GA-K8NS nForce3 (Socket 754) Motherboard (MB-024-GI)
Link

AMD Athlon64 3400 [2.4,200,754]RET
link

939:
Gigabyte K8NSC-939 nForce3 250GB (Socket 939) Motherboard (MB-036-GI)
link

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice 90nm (Socket 939) - Retail (ADA3000BPBOX) (CP-117-AM)
link

Any advice on which setup would serve me best in terms of gaming or an alternative setup of approximately the same price.

Thanks for any advice.

i vote 939 with a 3200+Venice retail. what vid card(s) do you plan on putting in it? you also have to think about PCI-E vs AGP

"The Very Short Answer":-

Go for socket 939. S754 only supports single-channel RAM, S939 supports dual channel. Better communication between CPU and system RAM. Also S939 supports PCI-E, S754 doesn't. S754 is now discontinued I believe.

GuitarFreak1857 said:
i vote 939 with a 3200+Venice retail. what vid card(s) do you plan on putting in it? you also have to think about PCI-E vs AGP

I was thinking of something along the lines of Geforce 6800gt, sorry I cant find the link.

I was recommended to go with AGP, but this seems to be opening another can of worms.

My friend had a S939 setup, and i guess he got a dud mobo because past 2.4GHZ his 3200+ Winnie wouldn't overclock 9 I TOLD HIM TO GET A VENICE!!!)

So the idiot goes and sells the S939, gets a S754, and overclocks it pretty well. Now he is a FIRM believe S754 is jsut SOOO much better than S939.

He's not up to date on hardware. Probably doesnt even know it doesnt support dual-channel lol.

4W4K3 said:
My friend had a S939 setup, and i guess he got a dud mobo because past 2.4GHZ his 3200+ Winnie wouldn't overclock 9 I TOLD HIM TO GET A VENICE!!!)

So the idiot goes and sells the S939, gets a S754, and overclocks it pretty well. Now he is a FIRM believe S754 is jsut SOOO much better than S939.

He's not up to date on hardware. Probably doesnt even know it doesnt support dual-channel lol.

Sorry, I'm a bit of a layman here - sorry if I didn't make that clear.

I won;t be overclocking or anything like that, I'm just looking for a machine to play the latest games at decent to good quality and will play those out for the next few years.

Any chance you could look at the setups I listed in the first post and say which is better, please.

i would say get a 939 just for the simple reason that 939 is the more recent socket so that in a few years or so you if want to upgrade the processor or ram, the new parts would be compatable.

Wasson said:
Sorry, I'm a bit of a layman here - sorry if I didn't make that clear.

I won;t be overclocking or anything like that, I'm just looking for a machine to play the latest games at decent to good quality and will play those out for the next few years.

Any chance you could look at the setups I listed in the first post and say which is better, please.

S939 always gets my vote unless you can't afford it. It seems like you can though.

Only difference i could make would be to say get a DFI NF4 Ultra-D mobo for the s939 CPU. It's a tad more i believe, but it would be worth it.

Since you aren't overclocking though, i wouldn't worry about switching the mobo if you don't want to.

Get 939 if you ever plan on upgrading your video card or using dual channel RAM, and I suspect you will be wanting to do both at one point or another.

Stick with a good motherboard that supports PCI-e. I've been noticing trends and they're telling me that PCI-e is becoming cheaper to encrouage the market to switch over. I'd go socket 939 hands down. I actually just had to make this decision. I chose a socket 939 3000+ venice core. I think you'll be pleased with it, and it's much more futureproof.

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom