6800GT.. XFX or eVGA? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 10:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default 6800GT.. XFX or eVGA?

well im getting into the final stages of ordering all the parts for my computer and i got my hands on a lil bit of extra cash too ... and well for the video card i decided to go with the 6800GT.. now this means that ill prolly have to sacrifice the 34 gig raptor AND the 80 gig wdc that i wanted to get and just settle with a sata seagate 80 GB hdd.. but still i was wondering which manufacturer to go with?

XFX: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...4011&CatId=318

or eVGA?: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...9365&CatId=318

now i know ppl will say eVGA but i don't know why the evga is better than the xfx... id appretiate some help as if the evga does not have any perticular advantage over the xfx than i can save about 80 bux and maybe get a bigger hd... any help or advice wud be appretiated

Old 09-06-2004, 10:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

In my opinion, eVGA makes better cards. Plus, you get a free copy of DOOM3 with it. Pretty slick, eh?

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ CPU
2x Corsair 512MB PC3200 DIMM\'s
2x Western Digital 120GB Serial ATA Harddrives in RAID 0
Asus 16x DVD-rom Drive
Pioneer 16x DVD+rw/-rw DL Drive
eVGA Geforce 6800 GT
Aspire 500w PSU
Old 09-06-2004, 10:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

well i think that shud cover the $80 deficit ... but i just had another question.. the 4 pin power connector... any regular peripheral connector from my psu ( like the ones that i wud connect to my ATAPI drive) could be used for that rite? or is there another connector required for that?

lol i knoww its a stupid question but im just making sure there are no doubts.. cuz this is an expensive buy and i wanna make sure everythings in order and i dun wanna go thru the hassle of returning a product
Old 09-06-2004, 10:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

oh and also how big ofa differene is there between the 6800GT and the 6800 Ultra... and is it worth the extra $150 canadian?... because if it is worth it i could just throw in my current 9600XT on the computer im building for a month and get a hold of the extra cash and just go for the ultra... but is it really worth it?
Old 09-06-2004, 10:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Monster Techie

get the evga 6800 GT from newegg, and save $220 bucks. link(without Doom3[a little cheaper]) , link(with Doo3[still saves $200)

o here's another good link for GT Doom bundle.. Link

Note- Tigerdirect is almost good for nothing.

these are the only placess so far that i would consider buying stuf online from... the farther down the list, the least likely it is that i would order something from them...

(these 2 i would try and get everything i need from if posible)
- newegg.com
- zipzoomfly.com

(these i would get stuff from if i need something and thy had it for a better price then the 2 above)
- monarchcomputers.com
- mwave.com
- Xoxide.com
- coolerguys.com
- eWiz.com
- xpcgear.com

(these i would avoid at all cost, unless thy have a realy good deal without a rebate[thy falsely advertize rong information about rebate offers on perpose)
- tigerdirect.com
- shop4.outpost.com
Old 09-06-2004, 10:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Techie

well i doo live in canada so that takes out newegg... and with the currency transfer im actually getting a better deal at tigerdirect than i am at newegg.. i think
Old 09-06-2004, 10:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
True Techie

Any normal 4 pin molex connector would work. I would go with the GT over the Ultra because the Ultra takes up the next vacant PCI slot, requires 2 molex connectors, and is extremely pricey. You can just OC the GT to ultra speeds.

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ CPU
2x Corsair 512MB PC3200 DIMM\'s
2x Western Digital 120GB Serial ATA Harddrives in RAID 0
Asus 16x DVD-rom Drive
Pioneer 16x DVD+rw/-rw DL Drive
eVGA Geforce 6800 GT
Aspire 500w PSU
Closed Thread