6800GT Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow!! I didn't think this post would cause so much contraversy!

Ok, I'll try and clarify it a little bit.

There is no problem with my computer itself. I used my ATI Radeon 9800SE and got perfect 100 FPS at all times in Counter Strike, and it ran Doom 3 on Medium Quality at 800x600 with no AA fairly well, about 35 FPS, drops to about 20 at some times, but I beat the game with this card.

Someone kept saying that I had a PCI-E video card, this is not correct. My eVGA 6800 GT 256MB is an AGP card. Sorry I forgot to mention that.

I had my PSU replaced because of low voltage about a month ago. I dont know what you mean by what my 12V is rated, but its very steady and is usually about 12.2 volts according to the hardware monitor in my BIOS. (I can't seem to get Motherboard Monitor to show my voltage, only temperature) Look at my signature for the full review of the computer layout. I do have 7 case fans, and a PCI slot fan dedicated to accelerating the air coming of the video card and blows it out the back of the computer, it has never gone above 66 C.

When I run Doom 3 on AAx16, and Ultra Quality on 800x600, I get great performance. However....!! Even if I put the stuff on low quality, and resoultion on 1024x768, it goes to s**t. It takes a very long time to load the levels, and the sound plays for about 20 seconds before the level even appears on the screen, it stays at the loading screen for a while.

Keep in mind that I replaced this video card once already because it caught on fire when I followed the eVGA technician's instructions by putting a separate 12V line into the video card (it was off when i did it of course, and it blew up the second I turned it on) They only replaced it because I was on the phone with hte guy when it happened, and they sent me a free copy of BF1942 with the replacement.

Yes I did remove ALL ATI drivers using the program called Driver Cleaner Pro, that is designed to remove drivers for ATI and Nvidia cards. Maybe there is something hidden, I dunno. IT makes no sense that I get bad results from old games, and mixed results for new ones. I got this card on the recommendation of some of the guys here, and someone I know personally.

I've had so many problems with it, its become a 330 dollar piece of trash. It was my first nvidia purchase, and I'm not liking it so far. I've never had a problem with ATI before. I can't just send it back and get a refund lol, its past 30 days.

Lastly, there are no background apps running, I have Ad Aware and Spysweeper, Diskeeper Professional and UltraWipe. Memory is not a problem.

Your power supply looks a little weak, at 430W for your specs. Have you tried reformatting?

No, the PSU is definately strong. Much more reliable then the Thermaltake Silent Power 420W, it had alot of dips in teh voltage. This one stays very steady.

Btw, when I say I run 1024x768, thats set on Ultra Quality with NO AA or AF. And I still get the crappy FPS.

EDIT: I use the latest Forceware/video card drivers. After I heard they cause problems, I reverted back to the drivers that came with the CD.

EDIT AGAIN:::::::_____

This link contains the exact prices and even has pictures of the computer, and the insides

http://unitedcorporationsofamerica.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=70&start=0
However, this are pics with my 9800SE

I seriously doubt its your card or just because its Nvidia for that matter. Something else is wrong, but seriously you are really only supposed to play doom3 on High because ultra high is meant for 512mb cards. Also i sadly admitt Nvidias downfall is AA mixed w/ high res, it tends to make the cards scream if you know what i mean.

P.P. Mguire said:
I seriously doubt its your card or just because its Nvidia for that matter. Something else is wrong, but seriously you are really only supposed to play doom3 on High because ultra high is meant for 512mb cards. Also i sadly admitt Nvidias downfall is AA mixed w/ high res, it tends to make the cards scream if you know what i mean.

There must be another reason. Read any benchmark out there and Doom 3 will run easily at Ultra High @ 1600 x 1200. And from what I recall, nVidia take's AA fairly easily on their 6800 GT/Ultra cards. You should have no trouble running at least AAx4 & AFx16 in any game @ 1280 x 1024.

@Rouen
You said that you have Spysweeper. Do you mean Webroot's Spysweeper? I know that program is incredibly resource intensive when you aren't using it but when it runs in the background. Then again, if this was the source of the problem, you would notice it give you problems at any resolution.

Whenever I play Doom 3, I NEVER have any background programs running, no firewalls, no antivirus/spyware, no AIM, no MSN, no other program in existance, just Doom 3. The problem is not memory. The problem lies with the video card. It runs fine on ATI, but it wont work with the Nvidia card. There is no other BS, no other programs running, its not the powersupply because it is very stable, it isn't my memory because its damn good memory and never had a problem with it, dont go into the AMD is better then intel because it isn't the CPU, it isn't the hard drive its running on UltraDMA 5, its the stupid video card. But the question is, what is causing it? Thats it.

There still might be an ATI driver lurking in my computer somewhere, despite the fact that I used Driver Cleaner Pro to remove all tid bits of ATI drivers from the registry. Doe someone have the locations of the registry strings where ATI implants their drivers?

It runs fine on ATI, but it wont work with the Nvidia card
it dosent matter whether its ATI or Nvidia, my dad runs Doom3 fine on his X800XT and i run it fine on my *5600ultra*. Youve
got something somewhere thats not letting you run it right. use Regedit and search for anything ATI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom