6800GT has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nubius

Golden Master
Yay, so eVGA did infact get that 6800GT to me today that I stepped up from the 6600GT.

6800box.jpg

6800.jpg

:D

First test in 3dmark05 got me 4841. Socket A system is definitely limiting me. However, the summer days are definitely already starting here in whats known as the high desert of california. It's like 81F in my room right now and when I first opened I saw it at 65C and just keep climbing. Right now it's sitting at 75C IDLE...yes IDLE...and the nvidia temp sensor is showing that in the yellow bar zone....oddly enough it never went past 83C full load which hell my 6600GT would hit that when OC'd, so I guess it's not too bad.....buuuut my mom said 'the AC isnt coming on anytime soon' lol for electricity cost reasons.

I had considered waiting to see when DFI would release their NF3 board so I could go to AMD64 but I think I'm going to have to go with my original plans and get a WC system to cool this puppy down.

Anyway I'll probably post some more with aquamark and 3dmark03 scores :D

You should really go with an AMD64 soon and why wait for NF3, get NF4 now because PCI-E is the future and AGP is moving out. See if you could get an nForce4 board and switch that 6800GT for a PCI-E model.

One question, why did you decide to go with eVGA? What's better about them than everyone else? Because I'm also thinking about movin up to a 6800GT or Ultra (depends on how much money I can get).

Aw, looks like you're gonna beat me to a dangerden. :D

Blast, I'm left in the dust now, everyone is getting 6800GTs and x800s and I'm stuck back on a 9800 Pro and I can't upgrade without buying a new motherboard and CPU and RAM and blah blah blah. Damn you PCI-E!

Have fun mate. :)

yay.

now you'll have to go amd 64 and then the 6800gt won't seem enough and you'll go sli

and then few weeks later dual core comes out, and the 64 doesn't seem enough

yay...a whole lotta money spent

oh, and i can't wait to see your am scores ;)

btw are you living in so cal?

Right on man, congratulations.

I actually just resurrected my post on the NV Silencer posting results after the AS5 had a chance to break in. That thing lowered my temps by more than 20C! Keep in mine my beast was hitting in the mid 90's at full load :eek:

Definately worth considering, but if you are getting WC anyways, that should definately cool the thing down.... :bald:

4841? What are your clock/memory frequencies at Nubius? On my old socket A setup I had my 6800 GT @ 401/1060 (see below) to get around those scores...

You should really go with an AMD64 soon and why wait for NF3, get NF4 now because PCI-E is the future and AGP is moving out. See if you could get an nForce4 board and switch that 6800GT for a PCI-E model.

One question, why did you decide to go with eVGA? What's better about them than everyone else? Because I'm also thinking about movin up to a 6800GT or Ultra (depends on how much money I can get).
AGP will still be good for atleast 2 years dude. If I went with PCI-E I'd have to try and sell everything, and then get a PSU for the new PCI-E card as well. It won't be until the newer cards months from now that come out that truly take advantage of PCI-E anyway. I have to wait for NF3 because DFI doesn't have an awesome AGP based board yet since they went all out on the NF4.

Getting that board and a venice or san diego core NF3 will make my system kick ass and definitely last a while, atleast 2 years by which time I'll definitely be ready to move to bigger and better things.

Pretty much PCI-E just isn't a possibility right now =/

Also I went with eVGA because they are a good quality company and if I hadnt I wouldn't have been able to get this card. I originally had a 6600GT, then used their step up program to upgrade to this 6800GT....you could do the same, get the 6800GT now, then within 90 days when you have more cash upgrade to Ultra or Ultra EE

Aw, looks like you're gonna beat me to a dangerden.
lol, going AMD64 would be close to $350 whereas the DD will be like $250 plus I really want to cool this core down especially since summers coming. I saw peoples before and after pics of the 6800GT temps and it went from 65-70C into the 30's, that's a damn nice decrease in temps...plus I want to OC this beast and theres no way I want to see 90C hit the temp sensor.

That thing lowered my temps by more than 20C! Keep in mine my beast was hitting in the mid 90's at full load
Aright, good to know because I honestly wasn't sure what the temps were supposed to be, but once I saw it didn't get past 84C on full load which my 6600GT would do OC'd I wasn't trippin. I would go with the NV Silencer, but as you pointed out I believe I'm gonna go DD to really cool this sucker :D

4841? What are your clock/memory frequencies at Nubius? On my old socket A setup I had my 6800 GT @ 401/1060 (see below) to get around those scores...

I am on a socket A system :D

DDR400 (motherboard is keeping me back from OC'ing the RAM beyond 200...the RAM can handle it but the damn mobo wants nothing to do with it....I can get it semistable but I'm tired of messing with it so I choose to keep it 100% stable, besides OC'ing RAM in socket A just doesn't give you the major boost like it does with an AMD64 system) and my CPU is running at 2.6GHz, it's an XP-M, 1gb of RAM btw.

Quick recap:

3dmark05 - 4841
3dmark03 - 10,880
Aquamark - 56,503

I got 54,500 with my 6600GT OC'd to as far as it'd go...I was hopin for a little higher aquamark score, but my socket A system is basically holding it back right now.

Water cooling, then AMD64 ;)

Ahh decisions decisions and tons of $$$$$$$$$ needed

I meant your 6800's clock/memory frequencies ;)

Oh, and I know you're on a socket A setup, that's why I'm curious to know what your card is running at...

yea, your socket A is holding you back

my 6600gt can hit 55.3k stock with the right drivers (forgot which, i tested pretty much all of them, ithink it was 76.10)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom