6800GT card installed / monitor shuts down - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 06-17-2005, 06:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default 6800GT card installed / monitor shuts down

hi, I just installed the

Geforce 6800GT
256MB 256-bit
GDDR3 / PCI-Express x16 Video Card

in a

Gateway 552GE
Pentium 4

Screen resolution: 1024x768
16 bit color quality

I asked Gateway and newegg.com to make sure it was compatible. They both said yes.

I know the card itself was installed properly, because a local computer company installed it (for free...I know them) but then I installed the drivers at home. They are now gone for the weekend so I cannot ask them for help.

PROBLEM: I am trying to run a graphics intensive game...Battlefield 2 demo...it seems everything loads into the menu fine. Then I try to get into the actual game part, when loading is complete, the game screen opens, and then my monitor shuts down. A screen pops up telling me the Power saver feature is enabled and monitor will shut down.

When I turn monitor back on, another screen floats around telling me "the monitor is working correctly" and also "check your computer power cable" etc. I am then forced to shut down the computer using the power button.

I have already checked the power saver feature and it is NOT enabled. So, I am stumped. I am not very experienced with computer hardware, so talk to me like I'm an idiot. :-)

Can someone please help me? I don't think Gateway will help cause it is not their hardware.

Old 06-17-2005, 06:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Send a message via AIM to Powerslave

Im guessing your not feeding it enough voltage. I'm not really sure though, I have a gateway, and it's let me upgrade it a ton. No problems with it either.

Old 06-17-2005, 06:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

This may have nothing to do with this, deguass your monitor.

Ricer: from the latin word Ricarius meaning to suck at everything you attempt.
Old 06-17-2005, 06:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Send a message via ICQ to Kadahaf Send a message via AIM to Kadahaf

it's most likely the crap psu that gateway gave you
Because people hate searching.
Best ram guide.
Different cpu types.
Good video card guide
Old 06-17-2005, 08:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

The newest nVIDIA drivers have issues with highly graphic intense games. I just finished having the same issues with some of my games, reinstalled older drivers and everything works fine.

What version driver are you using? Version: 71.89 is the newest and didn't work for me on two separate machines now. See if you can get a hold of an older version like 6.14.

Hope that helps.
Closed Thread