6800 to GT or Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackmoore

Daemon Poster
Well, I have had my system up and running for about three weeks now, and I love it. Now im am wanting to do the things I couldn't do when I first built it, do to lack of cash. So my question is, I have an eVGA 6800, that runs great, their isn't a game I can't play. But eVGA offers the Step-Up program, so I was wondering if it would be worth it to trade it up and pay the extra $130, for the GT or $230 for the Ultra?

hrmm im not sure .. all good cards. the one u have now is awsome aswell man (give it a bit of a overclock)

but i have been told form presvious posts the GT can be overclocked past the "ULTRA" so if u wont to spend some money i would get the "GT" and overclock it .. simple .

hope that helps

OH

also, instead of buying a video card, myself personaly i would by another HDD . possibly same or smaller.

:p

yeah I agree, if you're finding you are running out of space soon, you will want to get yourself another HDD

the 6800 GT can be softmodded to an ultra, then overclocked even further.
I don't think you can softmod your plain 6800 into a GT or ultra because of the memory type being different, the 128MB's are not GDDR3, but the 256MB's are.

I wonder how well the 6600's will be able to be overclocked. They will be using the DDR3 memory. But it'll only have 8 pipelines. Anyone got a link on what kind of softmodding you have to do to the 6800GT. I'm just curious to see what you have to do to get it past Ultra speeds. Don't you need to unlock 4 pipes on the GT to get the full 16 or was that just the X800 I'm thinkin of?

you're thinking of the X800; the X800 Pro has 12 pipelines and the XT has 16
the 6800 GT and ultra have the same pipelines but the vanilla has less. softmodding the 6800 GT is easier than a vanilla 6800 or an X800 Pro because you don't have to unlock pipelines
I posted a thread before about softmodding a video card here

apokalipse, I just read your link on the other thread about flashing the video card. That was very interesting, but let me make sure I have this straight. The 6800 GT is actually an underclocked version of the 6800 Ultra, and the flashing really brings it up to perform exactly like a 6800 Ultra? And this isn't like overclocking right, it won't create extra heat or anything like that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom