6600GT AGP just fried on me last week :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nechen

Baseband Member
Last week I had my Nvidia 6600GT AGP video card die on me for whatever reason. I never found out one but I'm thinking some static built up from the dust I had or a blown capacitor or w/e

Anyway I've been using this old 21 inch Hitachi CRT that I've had for like 8 years and I was wondering if old CRTs can fry/zap/destroy video cards?

I know Monitors can fry but can monitors fry cards?

Any help would be appreciated

i have never seen or heard of any monitor frying a video card. more than likely the video card fried all on its own. if it was in the computer and you were not touching it then it cannot be static charge. its more dependant on the brand of your card. sure its nvidia chipset but is it BFG or chaintech? companies like chaintech use cheap capacitors that deform thus causing undesired operations. the company called XFX formally known as PINE has alot of card that die fast, for no good reason. XFX is a leading brand for powerful video cards but its a big chance to buy anything from them. i prefer to stick to BFG because they offer the best in technology and a true lifetime warranty, not to mention the best support ever. sometimes they reply to my emails in less than 3 hours, they never take more than 24 hours though.

some other good brands are eVGA, LeadTek, and MSI. i would not reccommend ASUS although they have a good name, their heat sinks are sometimes easy to become slack and a slack heatsink would cause yyour card to die. eVGA claims to have lifetime warranty too but i dont know how good it is, also eVGA has a step up program so you could always trade in your old card, take a better one and pay the difference.

bottom line: graphics=BFG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom