6600gt or 6800

Status
Not open for further replies.

AND_YOU_ARE

Fully Optimized
I was looking through newegg and found this Evga 6800 video card. Its not very expensive compared to 6800gt's. I was considering this MSI 6600gt. Which one would be the better card to get in this situation. Is the 6800 better than the 6600gt? Or suggest a different card to get.

Thanks

The main difference between those 2 are that the 6800 has 12 pipelines, and 6600GT has only 8. The 6800 is better, but only by a little. If you want to spend the extra $50 for a little imporvment, go for it, but the 6600GT probably has a bette price:performance ratio. If you have the money, the 6800GT is well worth it.

I was getting some info on my 6800GT as far as flashing it with different BIOS's is concerned, and theres on guy in there who said he flashed his leadtek A400LE (6800LE 128mb) with a 6800Ultra BIOS which means the same core and memory of 425/1100 and using 1.4v........soooo if you get a good manufacturer like eVGA or leadtek you should be able to flash using an Ultra BIOS, and get quite a good performance boost. It won't have 16 pipelines or GDDR3 memory but it'll still be quite a performer compared to leaving it stock

EDIT: Of course you could simply get the 6800 now then step up to the 6800GT later like I did :D

i would get the 6800 and do what nubius did, pay the difference for the 6800 gt in a while.

Well you can unlock the pipes nubius, everyone over at newegg.com did it.

However, it's stock 3dmark cant beat my 6600GT OC'ed

the 6600GT is better rice/performance IMHO, i think the standard 6800 only uses DDR whereas the 6600GT uses GDDR3. now i know this doesnt mean the 6600gt is better, but if ur not willing to flash the bios or overclock the 6600gt would be a better buy.

Well you can unlock the pipes nubius, everyone over at newegg.com did it.

However, it's stock 3dmark cant beat my 6600GT OC'ed
That's assuming though that they locked the pipes of a perfectly good GPU, which isn't always the case like the 9800pros I think it was.....it could be defective pipes that are locked so unlocking them would be pointless, but yes.......I have seen a guide before to turn a 6800 into GT, and then turn that GT into Ultra, it's a very long process involving software mods and hardware mods meaning soldering and whatnot, but it can be done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom