6600 GT + motherboard compatability

Status
Not open for further replies.

mars66

Beta member
Hi as said in before on another post I will be upgrading my PC system in the new year.

One thing more then most though, is that the graphic card is in dire need of upgrading.
At the moment I am playing with a Raedon 9200SE AGP8X 128MB.

Before I say anymore, here are my system specifications:

Processor: AMD Athlon XP 3000+, MMX, 3DNow, ~(2.2Ghz)
RAM: DDR512PC3200 Matrix 400Mhz
Motherboard: ASRock K7S8X / K7S8XE
PSU: Adance 400w

I am thinking of upgrading to a GeForce 6600 GT graphics card, as I have heard very good stuff about it.

It was a toss up between that or a Raedon 9800 Pro, but im in slightly more favour to the nVidia now.

Anyways, while reading my motherboard manual there was a caution on the AGP slot, and it says; Do NOT insert a 3.3v AGP card into the AGP slot of the motherboard. May cause permanent damage!

I am not at all sure what a 3.3v AGP card is so I am just asking if this is a problem if I wanted to get a higher end card like the 6600 GT?

And if my motherboarc cannot take any higher end cards, what we be a good motherboard that is a high end one that will use my processor?

Also, im wondering if I need a bigger PSU unit aswell?

Really sorry just one more thing. If I can which 6600 GT would be the best to get out of these?

GeForce 6600 GT

Thankyou very much.GeForce 6600 GT

Out of those I would go for the MSI NX6600GT-VTD128 GeForce 6600 GT 128MB DDR VIVO TV-Out/DVI (AGP) - Retail (GX-051-MS)

Normally I would suggest eVGA but I have never been able to find a vendor for that brand in any UK store online.

nice article, but I'm rather disappointed to not see an eVGA brand card in there =/

All these companies seem to have problems with the HSF....I'm pissed though because on the PCI-E cards you can put your own Ramsinks on the RAM chips that don't already have one...on the AGP version of the 6600GT the HS is seated at an angle and half crosses some of the RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom