64 bit processor, 32 bit OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thresh25

Daemon Poster
I've got an AMD X2 64 4000+. obviously 64 bit. However I believe my windows XP is 32 bit but I'm not 100% sure. If it is 32 bit, is slowing down my performance?

Re: 64 bit processor, 32 bit cpu

Most of the time, no.
The vast majority of programs are still 32-bit, so running a 64-bit OS won't speed them up unless it takes up more RAM than a 32-bit OS can address (when it would have to start using paging file)

But if the program is compiled in 64-bit, it will run faster than if it was compiled in 32-bit; 64-bit code runs faster, though takes more memory.
If you had a 64-bit program, you would have to be running a 64-bit OS to use it; it wouldn't work in a 32-bit OS.

Yes it is slowing down your performance. But it's not by much, the 64-bit operating system can run programs faster if they take advantage of the 64-bit architecture

I wouldn't worry about it too much, only upgrade to 64-bit OS if you really want to, other wise it would be a waste of money as you already have the 32-bit version

Yes it is slowing down your performance. But it's not by much, the 64-bit operating system can run programs faster if they take advantage of the 64-bit architecture
The programs you run also need to be compiled in 64-bit for it to use the 64-bit instruction set in the CPU.

Otherwise, running a 32-bit program inside a 64-bit OS will not make the programs faster, unless they need more RAM than a 32-bit OS can address. Though you'd still need to have the RAM necessary.

all right thanks guys, I feel dumb look at my thread title, 64 bit processor, 32 bit cpu--- thats the same thing! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom