64 in 64 bit processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

NanoWarrior

In Runtime
What does the 64 in the 64 bit processor mean? Is it the amount of DATA that can be processed in one clock cycle?

its the number of bits (BInary digiTS) that a processors general purpose register can hold

64bit = GPR holds 64-bit numbers

32bit = GPR holds 32-bit numbers

hope that clarifies :)

64 bit oviously being the faster, so does that mean with longhorn or any other 64 bit os, programs will be able to run 2x faster then xp home or any other 32 bit os? what is the good use of this? more background programs being ran with less lagg in games?

After reading the article.....so what makes the 64 bit CPU twice as fast as the 32 bit CPU is that 64 bits of data can be stored in a single register rather than 32 bits that the 32 bit processor only can?

Hi

My knowledge on 64bit is zero, but I do remember some techie documentary on TV where the guy said “to compare a 32bit processor with a 64bit processor, the difference is that vast, it would be like comparing a jug of water with the Atlantic ocean”

ThatÂ’s sounds a bit more than twice as fast to me !!!

Copper

I'm coming from an audio background here, but as far as my current knowledge of bit-ratings goes; each 1 bit that is added, essentially doubles the initial figure. So for example, 33-bit is twice as good as 32-bit. So with the above comment of "to compare a 32bit processor with a 64bit processor, the difference is that vast, it would be like comparing a jug of water with the Atlantic ocean”, I think you can work out where he's coming from.

TMT :cool:

the AMD XP 64's are great!...You just have to buy a new mobo (if yers doesn't support AMD64) and you'll probably have to sock in some new (faster) RAM to get the full kick. Not to mention the wad of money you got to spend on a AMD64 in the first place!

Not to mention that if you already have a crappy system, getting a 64 ain't going to help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom