64 3000+ 939 Vs. 3400+ 754

Status
Not open for further replies.

FghtinIrshNvrDi

Fully Optimized
Hey all. I'm still deciding on what I'm going to get to upgrade. I can't really find any comparable benchmarks between the two. Are there going to be any gains with the 3400? I'm just completely unsure about what advantages the socket 939 presents. Is this a big deal, or can I save a few bucks? I know I can get the 3400+ for slightly less than the 939 3000+. Suggestions, thoughts, and random knowledge are completely welcome.

Ryan

I think you posted the exact same thing at Anandtech, but it might not be you. Who knows. Basically, the 3000+ is slower than the 3400+ at stock speeds. Thats a fact. I would suggest that you get the 3400+ and keep it stock. You won't have to worry about stablility and such. Also the only benefit of socket 939's 90 nm cores is that it can overclock better. I think you mentioned that it was a winchester, so nothing is garenteed as i said. If you want to take your chances and go with the 3000+ go ahead. Just remember that the 3400+ isn't a slouch at ocing either, and is better at stock speeds.

People might say that you can upgrade to dual core later with socket 939, but that is BS. When you have the money to upgrade, would you use it to upgrade a old dying platform? I wouldn't. 939's "future proofness" is not as good as it looks. I would just go with the 3400+ right now. Save your money.

ok look the 939 is newer technology the 754 is older technology 754 is not maiking newe cores nor cpus. But the 939 is venice core is very nice newest and best for know.

hmm, I'm starting to really agree with the former comment. By the time I really do think about upgrading, I'm going to have enough cash to buy a new motherboard and all that jazz. The 754 might suit me better for now.

Ryan

Is that all you can say? Your basing your arguement on newer technology versus older technology? I'm basing my arguement on performance/price. The 3400+ will perform better than the 3000+. No newer technology/older technology bs in that arguement.

now next thing... are there any big names to avoid here? I don't want someone's SINGLE bad experince deter me from buying a quality board. Here's a mess of 'em I'm looking at. If you've had good experience with the board, I'd like to hear about it.

ECS 755A-2 w/ 3400+ socket 754
http://www.pricewatch.com/BuyNow.as...lerLink=1&frmProductID=4878820&frmReadClick=1

AS Rock America K8Upgrade1689 w/ 3400+ socket 754
http://www.pricewatch.com/BuyNow.as...lerLink=1&frmProductID=6188774&frmReadClick=1

Gigabyte GA K8U w/ 3400+ socket 754
http://www.pricewatch.com/BuyNow.as...lerLink=1&frmProductID=6295751&frmReadClick=1

FIC K8-800T w/ 3400+ socket 754
http://www.pricewatch.com/BuyNow.as...lerLink=1&frmProductID=6378789&frmReadClick=1

Ryan

Are you sure you can trust those stores? I'm not too sure about the motherboards though.

Okay first, how much are both at your prices?

Okay here are the key differences on the sockets.

754 is older, and this only has 64 bit wide memory path's, only supporting single channel memory. This equates to half the memory speed.

939 is newer, and has a 128 bit wide memory path, theirfor supporting dual channel memory which is a 50% memory bandwidth boost.'

So 939 is a higher peformance socket, + more upgradeable. With SKT 939 you can get dual core CPU's as well as PCI -E motherboard's

Here are the core differences.

754 is NewCastle / Clawhammer. These are based on the old 130nm process, and these CPU's require ALOT more energy as well.

939 is for the main part Venice (Their are older cores, but these are rare). These are the new 90nm process, and can require half the energy of a clawhammer.

Now, for overclocking. 754 was at the end of it's life, with the speeds as high as they can go. 939 cores (Venice, Whinchester) may only come at a stock of 1.8 ghz, but since AMD are soo good at making CPU's, most of the stuff they release as a 1.8ghz CPU can be ran at 2.5 or more ghz. To make it run faster, we do something called overclocking

it's just this... I'm not thinking I'm going to upgrade this computer any. I want to use this for a game that'll be coming out soon, and that will be the extent of it's purpose. I'll be word processing and interenet surfing, but I don't think upgrading will be an issue until the next generation of computers comes and blows mine out of the water. I'm a patient customer. I still run a P3 800 mhz. This setup is for Age of Empires III and if it's going to get the job done, I'm a happy camper. Will the increase in memory speed really help me? I will be putting in 512mb-1gb over the course of this PC's life, so I really can't tell if it's worth downgrading processor speed. Like I said, graphs and benchmarks of comparable computers might sway me, but 754 seems like it might be better for me.
</rant>

Ryan

dual channel only gains minimal frames in gaming and not what it's hyped up to be, basically put the 3400+ owns the 3000+ at stock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom