63 MB? should be 64!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sephiroth

Baseband Member
On the outside of my tower it says that my computer has 64 MB but internaly it says it has 63. What could be the problem? I know this is only 1 MB difference but I would like to know.

what 64 megs of ram? some os's reserve 1 mb of ram if you have intergrated video. the easiest way to tell would be to look in the bios.

operating system. bios holds the configuration to you computer hardware. you can access it throush CMOS setup. during bootup you would press DELETE or one of the function keys like F8, F4, ect. don't mess with it if you do not know what you are doing.

In theory, You can free up this memory by adding a line into your config.sys file. However, I'm not going to post here how to do it as I, more than strongly, do not recommend it. Your Operating System needs to allocate this memory for other necessary processes. This is 1MB of difference. Even if you were to "free it up", you will not see a difference in performance at all. If this is a huge concern of yours then I would recommend purchansing another 64MBytes of RAM. A lot cheaper than you might think. You can get 128MBytes of your type of RAM (most likely) for under $30.

-Michael

yup. Your bios and OS are never really 100% accurate on how much memory you have. But they're not usually off by much.

Well when I try to play games that I meet all the requirements for, except for 64 RAM they will not run.

how bout this

my hard drive says its 120
but it raelly says its 111 while im in the computer Bios

welcome to the world of rip-offs!

Well you know a lot more than I do about this, so your probably right, 1 MB will make no difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom