6 monitor setup - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 04-12-2004, 05:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default 6 monitor setup

I recently got my hands on 3 medion top of the line systems each with dual monitor outputs. What I am looking to do here is create a 6 monitor setup using all of the computers.

I know its a longshot, but I am wondering if the 3 towers can be somehow linked together to make the 6 monitors act as one gigantic monitor under 3 processors/vid cards.
If I cant do this which i am expecting, Ill just have 3 dual monitor systems on my desk anyway. I do heavy graphic design and even if I am overdoing it a bit, it cant hurt

My other question is, are there monitors that are designed for this type of thing? ie ones with very small borders (LCD) and can anyone recommend some?
Obviously I would need a way to set this up so does anyone know of any type of wall mount thing I could use to get an arrangement like this:

Old 04-12-2004, 09:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Techie

come on someone must know!

Old 04-12-2004, 10:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Send a message via AIM to DeathToCats

the 'viewsonic VP171b' has very small boarders.. I have one right now and I love it.. It has 16ms responce time and excellent color.
Athlon 64 3200+
Western Digital SATA 80GB/8MB Cache
2 - DDRAM PC-3500 512M KINGMAX
PowerColor ATI 9600XT Ultra
Old 04-12-2004, 10:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Thats perfect! still need someone to help me w/ the other stuff tho.
Old 04-12-2004, 11:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

I remember hearing about something like that somewhere, maybe a PC Gamer magazine?

I remember they just had 3 monitors, though, but they had them all sitting so that the first one was like normal, and the 2 on the sides were slanted so that it looked as if it were "surround" view or something :P

But anyways, it showed the PC playing Quake 3, and it looked sweet! The display really did split up into 3 "parts" over the 3 monitors, and it looked AWESOME.

With 6 monitors, it would probably be pretty troublesome, but I'm sure it could be done SOMEHOW.

Good luck on getting that to work. Sounds like a SWEET idea! *thumbs up*
Old 04-12-2004, 11:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

matrox parhelia makes a 128mb and a 256mb both which dual dvi\triple vga output. the 256mb runs about 550 bucks.
P4 2.26 ghz, Intel d850emv2 mobo, 768mb of pc800, sony 4x dvd-rw, teac burner, nvidia ti4600 graphics, enermax 330watt ps
4 silent uv fans, cold cathodes in full tower antec case, round ide cables

SOny vaio 2.66 ht ghz modded into raidmax case with green cold cathodes.
P4 2.8ghz HT, 512mb ddr, Intel KD865gbfl, onboard video, raidmax case, blue cathodes, round ide, loomed wires, 4x dvd burner, wd sata 80gb hard drive
Intel d865perl, 2.8ghz northwood, antec sonata, wd caviar 20gb, Corsair 512mbx1 for now. 380watt psu, ati 9600, dvdrom cdrw floppy in black too match case
Old 04-13-2004, 12:07 AM   #7 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

you don't need more than 1 computer to run 6 monitors, just add PCI video cards to 1 machine. there was a thread about a slight simulator with like 10 computers running 20 monitors or something lika that. lets see if i can dig it up.....ahh here it is:

the link seems to be broken, hopefully you can google the current URL for the site if its still around

Closed Thread