5400rpm vs 7200rpm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbo-Athlon5

In Runtime
how big a difference is there between my MAXTOR 5400rpm 2mb cache vs a 7200rpm 2mb cache. I mean performance wise, real life, not synthetic tests.

also how much of a difference is there between 2mb cache and 8mb cache?

5400vs7200.
First of all no comparison
7200 is idustry standard today
Runs maybe at 10/ms seek time while 5400 rpm well over 15/ms
2mbvs8mb
-The Cache is intructions. And the bigger the Cachethe more instructions can be writen without having to erase one whitch takes time
-Thus meaning 2mb is in suficient for todays standard
-very big difference

RPM speed is meaningless with IDE disks. a good way to determine hard disk performance is look at interface type (ata33/ 66 / 100 /133), cache size, and seek time.

well obciously he wants to look at how many mb/s the thing can dish out(thought that was commen knowlage. And seek time will increase in slowness the slower the rpm of the drive. And you nevre no he could be looking at a fast 150mb/s sata drive.

nope im looking at ata 133. and i have found out with a program that my maxtor is 17ms average seak time, pretty slow i think

its a about 15ms at the beginning of the drive
and about 18ms at the end.

im looking at a maxtor 80gb 8mb cache model.

how much real world difference would there be?
and is it worth about 90AMERICAN for it? equals 120CDN

yes it is. Wow i didn't even realize regular ide hd-s are so slow been used to sata for a while. Very big difference but you shouldn't be paying that kind of cash more. I also live in canada and around here those types of drives run little over 25 more than a 2mb cache
Here
WWw.ncix.com
best canadian online retailer

XT said:
well obciously he wants to look at how many mb/s the thing can dish out

this is related directly to interface type. the interface is only a standard that measures by maximum MB/sec tranfer speed. hard disk manufacturers do not test actual tranfer rates each HDD perform at. so you can only go by the other specs they list.

i dont think seek time is determines solely by RPM. i would think it has more to do with how fast the armature can move and access data and also by how many platters the HDD contains and the size of the platter.

but even two ata133/w 8MB cache at 8.9ms seek from 2 different manufacturers will yield difference performance. only way to know for sure is testing, but thats going a little far just to pick out a hard disk.

Turbo-Athlon5 that hard disk is fine.

do you take me for an idiot? Obviously interface type has everything to do with mb/s. Eg- Ata/66 will dish out guess what 66mb/s ata/133 will dish out 133mb/s. The number is what is representing mb/s.
And yes seek time is not soaly provided from the rpm or all 7200 rpm drives would have the same seek time. But the rpm is the major player, but can come with other select features to make the seek time longer or shorter.
And can u tell me you wont feel a performance loss when using a 5400rpm driver instead of a 7200 rpm drive

can u tell me you wont feel a performance loss when using a 5400rpm driver instead of a 7200 rpm drive

ya i would like to know that too

also your wrong buddy

ATA 66 fills up almost to 66m/s
ATA 100 fills up about 66m/s
and guess wat ATA 133 also fills up around there.

The data never reaches the limit of either ata 100 or ata 133. I don't know if ATA 66 limit is reached.

And if the harddrive manages to reach 100m/s limit it wont stay there for long.

The difference between ata 100 and ata 133 is nothing, because the harddrive wont use all that bandwidth.

Thats from what I have learned on the web.

+++
i cant believe my athlon xp 2500+ is running at 39c right now with stock heatsink, mobo is 25c. thats with just doing internet.

i dont see point of buying a better heatsink right now? why would i want it to be at 32 instead of 39 it doesnt make a difference as long as its under 60c.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom