5200 fx vs R 9200 (not SE).. help! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 10-25-2004, 12:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Default 5200 fx vs R 9200 (not SE).. help!

i am deciding between a 5200 fx (not ultra) and a R 9200 (not se) video card, but keep getting different answers on which one is truely better. Both are 128 mb and PCI.

Please don't tell me how much they suck for good gaming (as i already realized this) and recommend me another card because that won't help me much..

Old 10-25-2004, 12:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Damn are you sure you want that series dude? A Geforce4 Ti 4800 256mb would probably be more powerful and cost the same or less....especially if you got AGP as PCI is basically worthless. Like anything man they are basically the same, you wouldn't notice but maybe a tiny difference if you actually had both cards and swapped em out. A lot of people will say go with ATI on previous generation cards, but either way they are PCI and not meant for gaming so both are about equal...now just decide whether you like Nvidia or ATI

Old 10-25-2004, 06:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Send a message via AIM to beedubaya

I'd say go with the Nvidia, because they are better with their low end FX cards. ATI is king over Nvidia's high end FX cards. But seriously, take they guy above me's suggestion and go with a Geforce4 Ti 4800 256mb.
Old 10-25-2004, 07:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

I think even a Ti4200 would be better
although stay away from GF4 MX's
Old 10-25-2004, 07:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

I completely agree with everyone above. When I was buildling the computer you see in my sig, I was deciding between those two cards. Then I saw this Tom's Hardware benchmark guide:

and that's when I decided on the GeForce Ti 4200 64 MB-8X. I got it for around 50 bucks on ebay, shipping included, and that's cheaper than you can find the FX 5200 and ATi 9200. As you can see in the benchmarks also, it beats them both pretty badly, usually 20-30 FPS more depending on the game. I definitely recommend the GeForce Ti series.
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through me". -John 14:6
Old 10-25-2004, 09:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie

ohh thanks for the info.. but the reason i wanted to get a PCI is because of my mobo, FIC AZ31, it has a really weird AGP voltage issue and only works with like tnt2 cards. or at least thats what i was told and i tired a gf2 mx and it didn't work.. i'm not really good at computer hardware but what is bad with a PCI video card???

Closed Thread