512mb stick + 256mb one...will it work

Status
Not open for further replies.

adinu

Baseband Member
Hey, I just found a stick of 256mb ram lying around from my dads old computer, and its the same pc2100 as the one in my computer. I have just one of 512 in there, and would want to know if I could just add the 256 stick to the system. Ive heard or read somewhere that memory has to come in pairs of identical size or just by themselves. Is that true, or is there some settings I can do to change that if my mobo is indeed like that.

btw, I have a Gigabyte GA-8IEXP mobo

Yes, they will work, giving you 768mb's of RAM. You won't have to configure anything. But in order for two DIMM's to run in Dual Channel, then they should be indentical (same size, same speed, same timings...).

But try it out, and see how it goes.

Ok, so I put the second stick in, and its going to teh load up screen and thats it. When I used just the old stick by itself it worked fine, and when I used just the 256 stick by itself it wouldnt even turn on.

So I checked it out, and it turns out taht the 256 one is ECC, and I have to change some settings for that to work. Where would I go about doing that, or finding out if my mobo is compatible.

And would it be ok that one stick is doin ECC and the other isnt?

u just put the 256 or 512 w/e u have and then u go 2 my computer u right click and proprties the nu lok down and it shud say 756 or w/e how much u put it shud add it

your motherboard most likely doesnt support ecc. you probably cant use it. list your motherboard make/ model

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom