512 Mb or 1024 Mb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter_storm

Solid State Member
I am about to buy my new A64 3000+ which I will overclock to 2.2GHz, and was wondering which is better (they all cost about the same)

512 Mb Corsair Platinum DDR XMS3200LL
or
512 Mb Twinmos DDR3700
or
1024 Mb generic DDR3200 ("major")

Please advise as I don't know why half as much RAM can cost the same amount, and bearing in mind I will be overlocking the FSB.

Thanks

I thought A64 3000+ is running at 2.2GHz isnt?
Well, if 1GB of RAM might be too much. U can get 2x256MB of RAMs.
CAS 3, CAS 2.5 r the DRAM timing.

I've always had excellent results with Kingston ram myself. But I have heard good things about Corsair ram also. You can always add ram later on if you need it. If anything don't scrimp on memory. I'd definately buy name brand ram for a bit more than some generic stuff that you don't know what your getting. JUst becaust it says pc3200 dosen't mean it's gonna run at 400Mhz.

No, 3000+ is 2.0GHz and 3400+ is 2.2GHz. Its not a question of too much, ideally I would want 1Gb of RAM but I was asking whether its worth buying 2 "value" 512 sticks for about £100-120 or a Corsair 512 stick for the same amount, or a PC3700 twinmos 512 stick for the same amount again. Dual channel is no use to me as the A64 do not support dual channel memory (FX-51/53 do).

Hey there, to make everything clear, a 3000+ is 2.15GHz. 1G of ram makes a HUGE difference for Windows XP, so thats always a plus. But OEM ram is harder to over clock. If you look(on the bottom) at the computer I own, I'm able to over clock my 3000+ and 1G oem ram from 2.15GHz to about 2.3GHz (with no added cooling). Now, I know that if I use better RAM, I could overclock alot higher. The reason is that more expensive RAM has lower lantency timers, hence easier to overclock. So in other words, if you want to overclock ALOT, then got with the 512 Corsair, but if you want to overclock just a little and have a smother OS system, go with the 1G OEM.
hope this helps!

Thanks a lot! I'm sure the 3000+ is stated as 2.0, looks like you got lucky or something! I think I will go for the 1Gb cheap stuff, as I only want to overclock as much as you. It's not necessary to overclock great amounts if you have an X800 anyway, who the hell needs 200 fps. Thanks again buddy

peter_storm said:

1024 Mb generic DDR3200 ("major")

Please advise as I don't know why half as much RAM can cost the same amount, and bearing in mind I will be overlocking the FSB.

Thanks

Is it Generic or major? It's one or the other, not both. Generic implies Oem grade chips/pcb. Major implies Brand name chips on possibly a third party board. Ie Samsung on third, Micron on third. If it's a major on third, I would say go with that definately. If it's OEM stuff...it's a gut call. Could be good, could be bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom