512 or....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice9

In Runtime
Alright I am trying to save as much money as I possibly can on the new computer I am building and I was wondering... If I have a 9800 pro graphics card, and an athlon 64 3000+ how big of a deal is 512 mb pc3200 ddr400 ram vs 1 gig on everyhting plus games like doom 3 and unreal 2k, half life 2 etc? I could also go with 512mb at first thn add on later. the problem is I am not going to have enough money for a monitor for a little awhile if I go with 1 gig and would have to use an old small one for the time being. Anyways I want your opinions on how necessary 1 gig is over 512mb and if it is really necessary then I guess I'll wait so I can also get a better monitor. Thanks!

if you really need a new monitor just go with 512 for now then 1 gig later..

you should do fine with 512 for now...

if you are going to be running alot of background programs get a gig, but if you are going to be using a crapy monitor, 512 is just fine, just get like xms or hyperx or some thing with low latency and you'll be good to go!

on older games you wont tell to much of a diff between 512 and 1 gig but newer games and as games come out you will se a noticible difference and if your mainboard supports dual channel you will see a HUGE difference.........go wit the 1gig you aint cool unless you have 1 gig of ram lol j/k

well, he's going to be using a crapy monitor. no reason in geting a gig if you cant get a real full advantage, and you can only use dual chanel if you are using a 939 socket. i don't know about intel though, and your board has to suport it.

just get 2 sticks of 256MB rams and run dual channel.
should be enough for gaming.

compy said:
well, he's going to be using a crapy monitor. no reason in geting a gig if you cant get a real full advantage, and you can only use dual chanel if you are using a 939 socket. i don't know about intel though, and your board has to suport it.

Well i might be able to do 1 gig.... whats a good crt flat 19" monitor that isn't too pricey?

1 gig really make a huge difference for games like doom 3, and if u like having a lota programs in background, go for the 1 gig, its bout 200$ online www.pricewatch.com.

getting ddr400 is kinda useless tho, after the 3200, the performance doesnt really improve. Its up to u, The only reason y i would get 400 is for overclocking.

Hope this helped

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom