4 7200 drive in raid0

Status
Not open for further replies.

aj2003

Daemon Poster
I can get ahold of another 2 120gig seagate quite cheap, well about £20 (GBP) less than normal. so wat kind of performance increase would having 4 of these in riad0 (i already have 2) and they give me a transfer rate of 92mb/s.

I know the speed increase would only be in loading windows or loading games.

also when ppl say they can boot their computer in xx seconds where do they stop the timer? cos i can be at my login screen in about 7 seconds max but it wont of loaded my windows settings :s

I start mine when I push the button to turn it on and end it when it has finished loading everything, and it takes 33 seconds :p

I have no experience of using raid, so I can't answer the main question.

Rosk would double? What kind of risk? I mean, the risk of losing data with RAID 0 is reduced by at LEAST 50%.

yea i know raid isnt made for performance, but doesnt mean we cant use it for that :p

u think it would decrease performance?

ive never had a hard drive fail on my yet, touch wood. but i do back my stuff up regularly. just wondering how much of an increase it would be to load windows/ game level?

Performance won't increase, and it won't stay the same. If anything it will decrease. The difference may not be noticable, or it may be noticable. Either way, adding more drives to a raid deck doesn't increase performance. That's bad logic.

As for risk, adding drives to a raid deck increases the risk. In RAID 0, two drives work as a single seamless drive. The risk is that if one drive fails, it ALL becomes worthless. In essence, if one drive fails, it nukes both. So if you have 2 drives, your risk of failure (and thus total loss) is X. If you add 2 more drives to it, you now have four drives, any of which could fail and blow up the whole deck, so your risk has gone from X, to 2X. You now have twice the risk of failure. This is why RAID 0 is hardly ever recommended for use for important data or servers. There's no actual RAID backup.

well how come wen i had one drive i was gettin transfer rates of 70mb/s and no i have 2 in raid0 i get 92mb/s? i dont expect it to be double the speed but im sure there will be a increase. as for the fault tolerance, i understand what your saying about the chance of loosing all my data is higher. if one drive fails and is totally dead it would only mean i loose data wouldnt it? or would it ruin the other drive/s

Shoobie is exactly right about the data loss. If any one of the drives fail (in raid 0), everything becomes useless. And no I don't believe if one drive fails the others will get "damaged". Just that the data on them would be useless with the busted drive gone.

But, I disagree with him about the performance. Raid 0 should increase performance if setup correct IMO. You can get both (or all 4) drives seeking for info at the same time instead of one drive having to retrieve all the information. Imagine having a computer that is multitasking a lot and getting information from all over the place on the "logical" HDD. I would imagine the Raid 0 setup would be beautiful. Especially if your HDD/Raid controller unit is smart. If it's a stupid controller then throw in the towel now. But if it organizes data retrieval intelligently, and can reorder request orders, Raid 0 would work absolutely beautifully than one single drive. So make sure you controller is good!..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom