32-bit transfer? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 01-30-2005, 03:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Question 32-bit transfer?

just upgraded my system and on the bios screen of my new motherboard there's an option to allow 32-bit data transfer for my hard drives. What does enabling this do and is it best to use it or not??

Old 01-30-2005, 09:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Send a message via AIM to Him Send a message via Yahoo to Him

Try it, see what happens. Probably wont hurt anything, stuff just wont work until you set it back to what it was before. But thats only if it will hurt anythign by turning it on. If it works it works, if it dosent it dosent.

honestly, I have never seen that type of thing before. So, if your feeling saucy, try it and see what happens. But only if your willing to accept the reprocusions should something go awry.

P.S. You cant hold me responsible should any damage should you incuur to your computer.

Old 01-31-2005, 12:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie
Send a message via AIM to B34ST1Y

Basically, when you send data, typically, nowaday processors are 32 bit processors, meaning that there are 32 "threads" of binary flowing through it at once. Before (I think its 2000 anway) windows 2K, the Windows OS' were programmed to utilize 16bits of whatever amount your processor could handle, thus, thats why win95, 98, 98se, ME, and ther others before it, were SO SLOW. Now, addressing your hard drive. I believe that most fairly old hard drives run at 16bit....not sure so don't quote me on it. If the harddrive you have, supports 32 bit (if it doesn't and you enable it, it SHOULD just default back to normal) then essentially, you get more data from your harddrive.

Hope that helps!

Old 01-31-2005, 01:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie

yeah thanks for clearling that up for me!
much appreciated!

Closed Thread