32 or 64 bit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackwrx

In Runtime
I'm looking to build a new computer sometime in the near future and for a while I've had my heart set on going all out and buying an AMD FX-53, a gig of Corsair XMS extreme RAM, two 10,000RPM harddrives, and everything else that would make an amazing computer. But I also have to keep in mind that I'm 17 and don't have an endless supply of money to fund my new toy. So I guess my question is: Is it dumb to buy a 32 bit processor now that 64's are out and everything will eventually be 64? Or am I ok with a good 32 (like an AMD 3400 XP with a barton core) for a while? I guess I want a really good comptuer that I won't have to upgrade for a while, but I also have to keep money in mind. I'm not sure whether to wait a while longer and go all out, or do the best I can in the 32 bit world. Thanks for your help.

I would say if you dont want to upgrade for a while then go with the pentium 4 3.4ghz. The fx-53 is only 2.4ghz, and while 64 bit will take about 3-5 years for the market to go that way. I would defitely say go intel then when amd comes out with something about 3.4ghz and software has moved to 64 bit buy an amd. Unless intel has a 64 out at the time.

Any particular reason you like intel more than AMD? I know it's a gig faster, but the FX-53 has 1600mhz of front side bus, so won't that make it a lot faster than the intel? I'm still in the learning curve here, so correct me if I'm wrong, that's just what I heard from a friend.

Since there is no 64-bit Windows XP on the market, you won't notice much of a difference between the Athlon FX series and the cheaper Athlon 64 series. It you want to save money and still go 64-bit, get the cheaper, non-FX version of the Athlon 64 3400+. It would be by far the most logical thing to do at this point in time. Remember, since you are building your own system, you can always upgrade later.

Yah do what beedubaya if you dont go intel. I have only used intel so its sort of biased opinion and i have only built intel. I would like to use an amd and really see the difference. But you cant beat the shear power of an intel. The fsb is 1600mhz compared to 800. But Your really going to have to have to find someone who has used the comparible intel and amd.

Okay i just want to clear up the comment about the FX-53 only being 2.4Ghz. The clock speed isnt the major factor with this chip. We are talking about a LARGE cache here, high clock speed and a 128-bit memory interface. This chip destroys the pentium 4 3.4Ghz in most tests.

But in answer to your question i would go with what beedubaya said. Another problem with the FX series is the lack of choice in motherboards since this is a 940 pin chip. (FX dont actually hold much over AMD64 except when it comes to memory usage)

Thank you all for the info. I still have some thinking to do, but I think I'm leaning more towards the 64 bit 3400 now.

don't get the 3400+

if you can....wait till the end of summer and the new socket 939 will come out

it supports a 3500+ which i beleive is 2.2, 3700+ which is i believe 2.4GHz and supports dual channel memory configuration which the current socket 754 do not.

the FX series supports dual channel but you have to buy registered ram which is EXTREMELY expensive and is slower than unregistered

if you can't wait... get the amd 64 3200+

it is SLIGHTLY slower than the 3400+ but it is nearly half the price

don't go intel unless you are going to get the 900$ 3.4EE P4

Well it's definitely going to be a few months before I can buy anything, so I can wait for more 939 stuff to come out. I think newegg only has one motherboard for the 939 right now, so I should probably wait until there's some others out. I hate money, I want to buy stuff now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom