$3000 to spend on a gaming rig. Any suggestions? - Page 4 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 07-23-2005, 04:35 AM   #31 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Send a message via AIM to timmer

w/e u guyz watch intel will own amd literally

Intel p4 HT 3.0GHz
1 16x Toshiba dvd burner
2 sticks of corsair ddr2 533mhz 512mb
GeForce Fx 6600GT
Asus P5LD2
480W thermaltake
Old 07-23-2005, 05:39 AM   #32 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Originally posted by timmer
i still say intel all the way for life u amd fan boys make me sick to my stomach when the dont know anything bout the intels. why does alienware use only intel??? and they are sick gaming pc's why why why????? exactly
actually, it's because we know so much about Intel and AMD that we choose AMD.
and no, AMD will not be bought out by Intel. AMD is here to stay
all you neewd to do is check some benchmarks, and see that AMD is actually ahead in most cases. this isn't being an AMD fanboy either. I'd go for an Intel any day if they released a better CPU, but so far, the X2 4800+ and FX-57 are still the winners.

and about alienware apparently only using Intel's, click what truebe posted.

I would suggest dual 7800 GTX's in SLI
these are for $500, and they're from eVGA

the Athlon 64 X2 4800+
for $950 + $5.90 shipping

the DFI NF4 Ultra-D
for $129. I believe this motherboard holds all the records for Athlon 64 overclocks.

G.Skill 2x512MB PC4400
$232. this is the best RAM I've ever seen. it is guaranteed DDR550, but most people can reach DDR600. provided the 4800+ can reach a 300 HTT you can get it to DDR600 aswell

Seagate 200GB SATA
and WD 36GB Raptor

put Windows and your programs on the Raptor, and use the 200GB drive for misc storage. the Raptor is the fastest SATA drive so far, so you'll see better load times for your apps, and Windows.

OCZ Modstream 520W
this is a good quality PSU, it should also increase your stability if you overclock.

LG 4163B DVD burner
$48 this is really fast, and really quiet. it is also good quality, and burns all formats of DVD's.
you can get 2 of these if you want

21" Dell CRT monitor
has a 2048x1536 resolution. I have this exact monitor, and it is really good, but my video card is letting it down (an FX-5200) however the 7800 GTX will take full advantage of it. it should even be able to play HL2 at 2048x1536, with AA and AF on.

total = $2815

Old 07-23-2005, 07:19 AM   #33 (permalink)
Master Techie

Thats a really nice build. I would definitly suggest dual layer DVD burners. I would recommend the OCZ PowerStream over the Modstream for this, with 520 watts. Maybe get the next level up for insurance and overclocking. I would also recommend a server case so u have nice airflow

-AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Winchestor
-MSI K8N Neo4-F
-Sapphire Radeon X850 XT
-2x 1024 Corsair XMS Pro

<form action=\"http://www.srsyo.org/tfsearch.php\" method=\"get\">
<input type=\"text\" name=\"search\"><input type=\"submit\" name=\"submit\" value="Search!"></form> Search TF before you post!
Closed Thread