2x6600GT or 1x6800GT ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would go with the 6800GT, then if when you have the $$$ and you feel you need more performance, get another 6800GT.

Good Luck

Yan Booth

Actually PP.... Voodoo did have SLI...it was even named SLI...but it stood for something else besides Scalable link interface like it does now...and they used an IDE cable to connect the two cards..more specifically I think it was a floppy IDE ;)

lol, yeah I don't know anything about Intels :p

BTW: Just googled it, it was 'Scan Line Interleave' for voodoo days

You can get a eVGA 68OO GT for 400$. Two 6600 GT would cost the same, 200$ each. I suggest the 6800 GT!

there is a PCI-X, it is a 64-bit version of PCI, and can run at 66MHZ (but sometimes still runs at 33). normal PCI is 32-bit and runs at 33MHZ

PCI-E is the serial version of PCI. they moved hard drives to SATA to make faster transfer rates with smaller cables, and now they're doing the same with PCI. notice how small the 1x slots are?

one thing that gets people confused:
PCI-E 16x is for graphics cards, it is designed to one day replace AGP 8x. people think that PCI-E 16x is twice as fast because 16/8=2
this is wrong, PCI-E is measured differently. PCI-E 16x just means 16 times the "paths" to the card as PCI-E 1x has.

as far as I've seen, two 6600's in SLI will perform roughly the same as one 6800 GT. personally I would get the 6800, that way you won't have the initial bugs of SLI. then when they do iron out the bugs of SLI, and when the 6800's become cheaper, you can get another one and put it in SLI with your current 6800

there is a PCI-X, it is a 64-bit version of PCI, and can run at 66MHZ (but sometimes still runs at 33). normal PCI is 32-bit and runs at 33MHZ
this is true yes, but there is also a 128bit version that runs at 166mhz. Its on that board that i linked. whereas everything else, ppl please read the other posts before anwering yourself cause your just saying what other ppl have already said. BTW nubius, i knew Voodoo had a SLI but i didnt consider it the same thing (or anything at all) cause it was only availible on the voodoo2 chipset and never had any drivers that supported it. plus no other games supported it either (possibly cause of the drivers?). So i dont consider it as sli cause its not the same thing for 1 and 2 it didnt work where as this SLI seems to work and is supported by some games. Just get the 6800GT for now and buy one later when the bugs are fixed and there are more games that support it. Besides its the same price and almost the same performance.

BTW nubius, i knew Voodoo had a SLI but i didnt consider it the same thing (or anything at all) cause it was only availible on the voodoo2 chipset and never had any drivers that supported it. plus no other games supported it either (possibly cause of the drivers?). So i dont consider it as sli cause its not the same thing for 1 and 2 it didnt work where as this SLI seems to work and is supported by some games.
Well what you consider, and what are the real facts are two different things. The fact is they did have SLI, and technically they had it first and it simply didn't catch on by the time they were no longer in the market.

Also in your previous post you said:

Where as the Voodoo boards are concerned, yes they are similar to SLI but VERY different! They have 2 GPU's on one board to split the load of the of just one.
Which isn't true, their SLI was exactly the same as todays SLI minus the name and the way the two cards were connected. Dual GPU's are just now becoming introduced that are effective.

Here's an exerpt regarding the gigabyte dual gpus

guru3d - Ever since the moment Gigabyte released a Dual GPU graphics card people are having 3dfx Voodoo'ish flashbacks. NVIDIA decided to pick up that trend (as they bought the patent when they took over 3dfx) and go beyond everyone's expectations. The deal about placing two GPU's however always has been tricky. I say this specifically because others have tried and failed, think about the Rage Fury Maxx and XGI's Volari Duo V8. Today Guru3D will test Gigabyte's DUAL GPU based GV-3D1 which of course runs in SLI mode and is a rather cool looking graphisc card.
So it was nvidia who bought them out and hence you can see why they've 'resurrected' the name SLI

Then you say:

What SLI is doing is basically the same thing but splitting the load between two cards
which IS what they were doing but you're making it sound like it's completely different so I am merely straightening out the facts.

they didnt call it SLI like we use it today. and nobody used it. so its basically there but nobody knew what it was or how to use it. and the fact they didnt catch on was cause of whay i said.
Which isn't true, their SLI was exactly the same as todays SLI minus the name and the way the two cards were connected. Dual GPU's are just now becoming introduced that are effective.
actually i was talking about the dual GPU being the same but very different. the point is actually the same but the outcome is different.:p thast all i was trying to say there. and i know that Nvidia bought them out but i think the dual GPU thing is a waste. SLI is the better part of it and i only had a Voodoo5 5500 because i thought i had a better card than my friend lol.
which IS what they were doing but you're making it sound like it's completely different so I am merely straightening out the facts.
that is what they are doing and thast what i said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom