2GB RAM add in, BIOS works, XP doesn't

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon15n

Baseband Member
Any ideas on why my BIOS would recognize 2GB ddr ram, pc 2700, just fine after adding it, while Windows XP Pro would not boot up?
I then mixed it with a 1GB and 1 512MB and it worked just fine, except when I tried to switch them out again and then it wouldn't boot again, but that was followed by the blue screen of death.
Stop error 0x00000008E I believe.

At any rate, I then kept trying to boot up and eventually it wouldn't even go to POST and the floppy drive made weird noises.
I then switched out on of the GB chips and went back to my old config of 1.5GB.

Windows would not start again, as it did before. It would not boot at all from then on, and Repairing it did not work. I also tried FIXBOOT in the recovery console. That didn't work.

Thus, I installed a fresh copy of XP on my secondary hard disk, and it then booted just fine to XP set up.

Do you think I need to install a fresh copy of XP for this to work on my primary hard drive? Also, why would my comp now not even recognize the 2GB of RAM, if it did prior to?

THANKS! Any help would be appreciated...

try listening for bios beeps. you could have possably moved something or danmaged something while adding the ram. However, since you got it to work with a freash copy of xp just re-install it on the first hard drive if that still doesn't work(it should) I would suspect that hard drive has something wrong. Just re-install xp it should work fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom