256 or 128

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cellbuster

In Runtime
i heard that 256MB of VRAM is only neccesary for cards that are 6800 or higher and for doom 3

If i get a card that is less then 6800 and i dont expect to get doom 3, will 256MB hurt or barly help, because i can spill the cash

More memory can only help. It will also help on games like far cry, bf2 etc..

A lot of cards that have 256mb have slower gpu and 128 versions are actually faster. So yeah unless you get a high end card not only is it not necassary but not advisable.

ok so Its sacrificeing GPU for VRAM. so having a 6800 or more already have a fast enough GPU so you can focus more on ram right?

I don't know all the specs of vid cards off hand, I don't even know if the 6800gt offers a 128 version. I was saying lower end cards generally sacriface gpu but I don't know if they all do. I don't think it does in the high end cards.

What kinda budget you on? Thats always good to post in the first post of your thread.

if its anything less than a 6800/X800, then it doesnt matter. The card literally has to be bleeding edge to take advantage of that memory

well my budget is under 175 plus i need a new micro ATX supply so i was thinking of getting a 6200. From the posters of this forum say its not worth the upgrade because theres not much upgrade

Get a 6600GT, actually, XFX makes a PCIe 256MB 6600GT, but it is the most expensive one, over $200 so it is way overbudget. Just get a 128MB Leadtek/eVGA 6600GT and you will be fine. If you really can't afford the 6600GT, then get a 6600 vanilla, because I think it is only $11 more than the 6200 and it has double the pipelines. If you end up with the 6600 vanilla, here is the best one to get:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814125184

dude, if you got 175 USD, that's enough for the 6600GT, don't get the vanilla cuz it's crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom