250gb drive still showing up as 127gb after sp2 update on xp

Status
Not open for further replies.
dario03 said:
So I can't use the full drive with just one letter (c: ) I have to split it, unless I use partition magic (which I've used in the past and it gave me problems)?
Whats up with that?
Yes, you can have a single partition over 137gb. Relax. Check the following:

1. Check that your BIOS is up to date.
2. Make sure the drivers for the drive are up to date.
3. Check your BIOS settings to see if you have them configured correctly, as some have an option for turning on or off the ability to use drives larger than 137gb. I can't tell you where (and if) such an option would be, since all motherboards are different. You'll have to do some poking around.
4. Run a chkdsk on the HDD and see what size drive it returns.
5. Check your BIOS and see if it reports drive sizes, and if so, what it is reporting.

Okay I have a seagate sata 250gb 8mb cache drive and according to seagates site I don't need any drivers to make it work just the update from microsoft so it must be the mobo.
Its a Chaintech 7NJL6 Socket A Motherboard and I didn't see anything on their website about that being a upgrade. If all else fails maybe I'll just load their newest settings and see if it helps.

The initial install of XP only partitioned 137 gigs of the drive. The disk manager can see it but XP cant use the rest of the space until it is formated. If you want one drive letter from the start than slipstream sp1 or 2 into your XP installation and reinstall. Thats what I did to get XP to recognize my full 250 gigs.

chog said:
If you want one drive letter from the start than slipstream sp1 or 2 into your XP installation and reinstall.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by that. This comp was my first build and first xp install. Sorry, I'm just a little confused:confused:

chog said:
The initial install of XP only partitioned 137 gigs of the drive. The disk manager can see it but XP cant use the rest of the space until it is formated. If you want one drive letter from the start than slipstream sp1 or 2 into your XP installation and reinstall. Thats what I did to get XP to recognize my full 250 gigs.

Okay, I checked and it is seeing the full drive but I need to format the rest. Could someone explain what chog means by slipstream. I have sp2 so do I just put the xp cd in and choose repair or do I have to do something else like using the dynamic update and a full format of the drive?

you dont want to format it really, unless you can back up all you data on a network or another drive. have you tried formatting the rest of the drive? does anybody know if you can do this without formatting the whole drive?

It would be in 2 partitions if I did that. And I don't care if I lose all the data because all thats on it is windows xp, avg, and the updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom