24 or 36 inch IDE cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grego

In Runtime
If I'm getting a Thermaltake Tsunami case, what size rounded IDE cable should I get for my opticals? 24 or 36? Thanks.

Oh aright, thanks. I've never taken the time to actually measure the cable when I've been inside a pc :).

DJ-CHRIS said:
You should get 18.

24 and 36 are not part of the IDE standard and can cause trouble.

are u shur? if so please explain more, or link to an explination.

I understand that lenght in wires can affect things, but its not like a 150' ethernet cable compaired to a 10'.

im also asking cause i got 4 round 36" EIDE cables and 1 18" round floppy cable for 10 bucks total. There not in use, ther for future use. And since thy were cheap it wont devistate me if thy cause problems, but id be curiouse to know why u think thy might?.

It should state this on the website of whoever developed the standard for ATA-133.

Here's a brief sometihng, even though it states and not explains
http://www.hastec.nl/support/onstream/support/knowledge/kb-art-1042.html

Here's another more credible source, read the STOP part
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confCable-c.html

Also, rounded cables are not part of the standard, and rounded cables can cause crosstalk which can lead to data corruption. The 80 pin high speed ATA cable has 40 signals, and 40 grounds. Between each signal is a ground. However in a rounded cable, the signal's touch the signals.

Never heard of that..... All a rounded cable looks to be is a cable that has been split or folded along the wires..... But the length part i can understand messing up.....

charles_scott said:
Never heard of that..... All a rounded cable looks to be is a cable that has been split or folded along the wires..... But the length part i can understand messing up.....

A rounded cable is only slightly better than a 40 pin cable...

The ones i have never gave me problems...... but they also came with my motherboard and all MSI does to them is fold the cable and put something around it....

DJ-CHRIS said:
A rounded cable is only slightly better than a 40 pin cable...

A rounded cable might be potentialy worse. But some how i seriousely doubt you would see a difference in performance froma 80pin EIDE cable or a Rouded 80pin cable.

The information you provided witch is described in those links is valid. But its probably a little overly cautious. But since the potential is there... what im going to do on the future build that usess these cables is... assemble the drives with the standard 80pin cables first, format and install everything. creat the backup image, and then switch over to the round cables, so if any potential problem occures at that point it wont matter.

but interesting non the less, i did not know of problems with those cables till you mentioned it. Though it will probabaly be a long time till i put those round cables to use, i will definatly pay atention and look fora perfromance difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom