2 Raptors raid 0 with maxtor 160 G

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fighterdoc

Beta member
2 Raptors raid 0 with maxtor 160

I have an intel 865 mobo that had a maxtor 160 G on eide master with Windows XP Pro. I finally got a paycheck and installed 2 WD Raptors RAID 0 and changed the BIOS as instructed. They booted with blazing speed. WinXP Pro installed in minutes and works super.
However, now I can't see my ide drive which I need to get data from, use as storage, or be able to boot to occasionally. To see if I could boot back to my ide Maxtor I tried resetting the BIOS back to ata/ide Legacy, but no luck. I then disconnected power and sata cables to the Raptors and still couldn't reboot to the ide Maxtor. I checked the Maxtor power and cable and it seems to be connected OK.
I see posters mentioning using sata RAID 0 with an ide drive on the same mobo at the same time.

PLEASE, can someone help me?

The 2 Raptors raid 0 are listed as C: and online Disk 1 Basic 68.94 GB healthy system.
Maxtor is listed Disk 0 Unknown 152.66 GB Not Initialized and Unallocated. I used the initialization tool but it didn"t work.

My system was running with the Maxtor 160 GB. I changed bios settings. I rebooted and hit Ctrl I and set the raid 0 partition which was named C: by default. Started windows set up and hit F6 to install the drivers and as I mentioned Windows XP loaded and works great I just can't see the Maxtor on the primary master ide.
The secondary master and slave DVD RW and DVD are listed as D: and E:
Another thing I noticed when I rechecked the BIOS settings - advanced - Driver config is that the ide Maxtor is listed as !!Maxtor!!!!!! . Can't figure out why the exclamation points unless that means the drive can't be initialized?

see my first post. when bios set back to legacy, the sata is supposed to be disabled I guess. bios could still see ide drive but it had the !! signs before and after the name. Of course the raid wouldn't boot but neither would the ide drive.
I reenabled the raid took the ide maxtor and put it in a usb external housing and booted to the raptor raid win XP. Disc manager could then see the maxtor as an active drive.
there must be a way to use sata raid and ide together on the 865PERL.....I querried the Intel site that says they will work together and all I got was links to a lot of useless crap.

Steaming in Phoenix

NOt sure if this helps, but I have a Gigabyte 8KNXP and uses the intel 875 chipset. I run raid on both the IDE and the SATA at the same time without trouble. Also have 1 drive on the regular IDE interface. I'm wonering if that is one of those short falls that Intel took with the 865 chip...
But then I'm also running on Win2k so that might have something to do with it too. The only issues with Xp that I have seen as far as disk go is unassigned drive letters, and the inability to format anything larger than 32gb with fat32. Hope you find a solution...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom