2 IDE hard drives, 1 problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

wannabe_hacker

In Runtime
I'm trying to put a second hard drive into my computer, along with the first. I don't have another port to connect my second hard drive. But, the ribbon that connects my first hard drive came with an add on. So, the ribbon has three places to connect. One goes into the motherboard. One connects to a hard drive. And the other should connect another hard drive.

It evens says Pri. IDE and Sec IDE on the ribbon, so I'm pretty sure it should connect two hard drives. Well, I connected the second drive and when I boot my computer it only detects the second drive I just put in.

When I disconnect the second drive, and reboot, my computer detects the first one again. So, I know both are securely connected. Also, if I "unplug" my CD-ROM drive and stick my other hard drive in that port, it detects both drives, but now I don't have a cd-rom drive. Any help on this is appreciated.

Wannabe, you need to set the jumper settings on your new HDD. On an EIDE channel, you are limited to two devices - a master and a slave. Your current hard drive should be set to master and the new one needs to be set to slave (if it's on the same channel).

Each manufacturer will have their own jumper settings and you should look on the hdd itself. There will be a schematics drawing on where to set the jumper for slave setting.

Ok, I have successfully set my second drive to slave. But now I have to format it. For the file system, should I choose FAT, FAT32, Or NTFS? My Master drive is set to FAT32 if that helps. And for the allocation size, what should I choose there?

if the size if the drive is over 32 gigs, then use NTFS. Unless you are using windows ME < if you use windows ME use fat32. If you have XP do ntfs if the size of the drive is over 32 gigs, and if it is under 32, use fat32

Ok, thanks. And, do you know what allocation size I should choose. It gave me a whole list of sizes. If you want me to, I could list them.

Never mind. When I click Fat32, the allocation size automatically goes to default and I have no other option, so disregard that allocation question.

Everything is working good so far. I'm just waiting for it to get done formatting. Oh, and am I going to have to install an OS on it in order for me to write to the disk? Thanks for all the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom