2 hard drives urjent help PLEEEEEASE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoticBoy

Baseband Member
i know this has probably been discussed before but i havent got time to search

im currently on one of my old 6gig hardrives, just chekin to make sure it works, i need to format my other 120gig hardrive but need to back things up first... i need to do it asap cos got an assignment to hand in an my 120's playin up...
can i use both 6+120 gig hardrives at the same time so i can drag files ova to the smaller hardrive before i reformat the bigger one? both have windows xp on

thanks alot

Ryan

edit: does the 6gig have to be formatted with no OS if using as the slave??

Please do NOT cross post your message to other forums. It will get deleted every time. Thanks====MicroBell

Psyhoticboy, please do not double post.

http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17958

Posting in one thread keeps the conversation flow better and avoids misunderstandings and double postings.

The first answer is that YES you can use both HDDs in your pc. You dont' have to copy anything over to the new hdd - that's your choice. If both HDDs have XP installed on it, i would use the larger one as the master on IDE channel 1 and the old one as a slave drive on IDE channel 2. However, it's such a small drive (6 GB) that I hardly see a need for it with a new drive that is 120 GB. As mentioned, make sure you have the correct jumper setting - it will be noted on the HDD itself on how to set it properly.

You will need to format the new HDD if you haven't done so already. Any HDD needs to be formatted in order to hold data - that's the whole purpose of formatting the drive.

Re-reading your post again, you say you have XP installed on both HDDs. If that's the case, that 6 gigger is already formatted. so why are you asking if yoiu need to "format it"??

im sorry but i need an answer quickly an cos half da ppl on ere are ignorant (no names mentiond) i need double the threads!

the whole purpos of the smaller hardrive is so i can copy everything i need from the big one onto it so i can format it without losing all my data!

If both HDDs have XP installed on it, i would use the larger one as the master on IDE channel 1 and the old one as a slave drive on IDE channel 2.

does this mean on the same ide cable but one on master an one on slave or does this mean use seperate cables.. not sure what a chanel is lol

PsychoticBoy said:
im sorry but i need an answer quickly an cos half da ppl on ere are ignorant i need double the threads!

comments like this certainly dont work in your favor, if we are ignorant and you are asking us for help, what does that make you?

Re-reading your post again, you say you have XP installed on both HDDs. If that's the case, that 6 gigger is already formatted. so why are you asking if yoiu need to "format it"??

wow your sarcastic oooh inverted commas lol nah it just sum1 told me that i need to wipe one of the hardrives cos both cant run xp if u using two... i heard it somewhere dunno where and dunno if its true i meant reformat it sorry

Solido888 said:
comments like this certainly dont work in your favor, if we are ignorant and you are asking us for help, what does that make you?

your name wernt included init thow, i know some people like it thats all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom