(2) hard drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

icanrace

Baseband Member
I am wanting to add a second hd to my pc. I am wondering two things.

1) will adding a second hd take away any performance from the pc?

2) is it important to have both hd's the same speed?

No and No. adding another drive only pulls a little power from the PSU and if you have a good one, there will be no need to even recognize that. speed is relative to the drive performance, not system. If you run things from a slow drive, they will operate a bit slower then if they run from a faster drive.
If you are looking to go with RAID, then speed and size are both important. Otherwise, don't worry about it.

ok, first why do you want to add a second hard drive ? extra storage ?
speed should match, mainboard specs, dma,ultra dma etc(but not a big issue)
will it take away performance,not really..as long as you don't take files from D and drag to C etc..

how big is your original hard drive ? you can partion it, use for mpegs etc,,there are also Usb external Hds,,lots of possiblities:D

1) no
2) no

if your new hard disk is much faster transfering the operating system on it would speed up your computer. to do this use norton ghost to clone the operating system partition to the new disk.

make a second partition on the new disk to use as storage. use the old disk as storage also. you would have a total of 3 partitions, they are treated as separate drives in windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom