2 hard drive (good or bad)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a used computer and quite old since it's a 800 Mhz.
I havent thought to look if this is 2 partition or 2 hard drive :eek: . I'll look forward for it but if this is 2 partition should I leave it as it is.
And a other question, If this is faster to have 2 partition I'm i better to do so on my computer to improve speed.

BTW I'm not totally newby to computer world I'm just far from a pro.

Creating multiple partitions on the same HDD would not improve your speed. The data on multiple "drives" would still be found using 1 set of hardware. So it will still be sequential.

If you do create a partition just for windows, make sure there is enough space for the install, virtual memory, other tid bit crap and such.

As stated before, 1 HDD split into 2 partions does not decrease the seek times.

RAID0 would show decreased seek time on most applications and programs but not for the O/S.

If you don't want RAID0, get a Western Digital Raptor drive, fastest none SCSI HDD on the market at 10k rpm. Either that, or check what speed the current HDD's run at and if its less than 7.2k rpm, get a new one and you'll see a difference that way.

Also, remeber to defragment the HDD regularly so the HDD doesn't have to work as hard to find data, but thats going off the scope of this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom