2 hard drive (good or bad)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvioniX

Solid State Member
HI everyone
First Post :D

My mother bought a small computer lately. It's a way enough for her use and have good stuff for the price. The only thing is it came with 2 hard drive, a 8.5 Ghz and a 160 Ghz. The way the system is configure now it got windows on the small drive and all the other program on the bigger one.
I'm not the one who done that and I want to know if this is a good way to improve the computer speed or this is a really bad idea.

AvioniX said:
HI everyone

My mother bought a small computer lately. It's a way enough for her use and have good stuff for the price. The only thing is it came with 2 hard drive, a 8.5 Ghz and a 160 Ghz. The way the system is configure now it got windows on the small drive and all the other program on the bigger one.
I'm not the one who done that and I want to know if this is a good way to improve the computer speed or this is a really bad idea.

Welcome to the forum!

Hard drives are not measured in speed by Ghz first of all.

Are you saying it has a 8.5 Gb space on one drive and 160 Gb on another drive?

There are some techniques that people put windows on the faster drive and programs on the slower one.

if it works fine and if it good enough for what you use it for... then its fine. Smaller the harddrive the faster it can be searched, unless the rpms and cache/buffer are low. but dont worry about that if you are new to pc modifications. Basically you want to know this piece of information... computers are really really picky!!! if it is working fine, dont mess with it unless you are making upgrades.

I'm curious cause I need a second hard drive and have a flooding games collection whether I should spend out on an expensive 10,000Ghz 40Gb ish HD and run all my games on it.

Will I see any rise in performance in gaming, load times etc.?

HELL YES YOU WILL hewhohasissues... I have a 10000rpm harddrive, i use it as my boot drive and some of my more graphic intense games like halflife 2 and farcry... its amazing how much faster it really is in load times.

Oh right cool, how much does Windows XP take up? Cause 40gb would do nicely for gaming but if I got a 73gb could I run windows on it? And would it run super quick like the games?

AvioniX said:
HI everyone

Don't mean to treat you like a fool here but are you positive you have two PHYSICAL HDD's or just the one HDD with two partitions ?

Sounds like a used computer. I don't understand why any new computer would come with a 8.5 Gb drive. You can keep it for now. Maybe even use it for backup purposes. But when you decide to get a new drive and want bay space. Ditch the small one.

It sounds old.. They don't make drives that small in capacity anymore.

I'm a little curious about this too, so with 2 harddrives, does windows have to be on both or just one. Say I want windows just on one and programs on that harddrive and then just games on the other, is that okay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom