2 external monitors to a laptop?

C.S.Student

Solid State Member
Hello

Basically, I have got 2 monitors which I would like to hook up to by laptop.
The monitors are:
Dell E Series E2210 22" Widescreen LCD Monitors (has 18+1 pin DVI-D and Analog Video Input Connector: 1 x 15 Pin D-Sub connector.
My laptop has a VGA and HDMI port, and I was wondering how I can connect the 2 monitors to the laptop at the same time.
I've done some research and understand that you cannot directly connect a DVI-D to VGA because of digital and analogue signals, and converters can be expensive! At the moment, thinking of getting a DVI-D to HDMI cable and a VGA to VGA cable to connect them up (would this work?).
I would prefer to have both as digital outputs, but if there are no disadvantages of having analogue, I would be happy with that.
As my name suggest, I am a student so I don't have much money to buy lots of expensive equipment. Is there a cheap(ish) way to do this?

Thank you in advance :)

Last edited:
Physically it would work - it depends on the laptop. Depending on the driver / hardware on the laptop would determine if it can push two monitors.

There are cheap USB to DVI converters out there. That's what we use at my work to push a 3 monitor setup.

Thank you, I've ordered a VGA to VGA cable and DVI-D to HDMI cable, so hopefully it will work.
On another note, I've seen some HDMI splitter while searching online, and was wondering if they would work for a multi-monitor set-up?

Hey
so I've received the cables set everything up. Only one slight problem....
the laptops won't take both external monitors, it can only take one extra. Is this because of the graphics card that it can't?
Thanks

Hey
so I've received the cables set everything up. Only one slight problem....
the laptops won't take both external monitors, it can only take one extra. Is this because of the graphics card that it can't?
Thanks

Yep, with intel 4000 intergrated graphics, you can only use two monitors simultanaeously. You could use the two monitors if you shut your laptop screen off however, or get what trotter suggested ^.

Thank you guys/gals for the help!
Is there no cheaper option then buying an adapter? For instance, getting a cheap graphics card for my laptop that can run 2 extra monitors simultaneously?
Thanks!

the graphics controller is integrated into the processor, so getting a new graphics card is out-of-the-question. Actually, I believe trotter's suggestion would be your cheapest & easiest bet.

Back
Top Bottom