1st build.. do i need a floppy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

asmodous

Solid State Member
so, i ordered all my new parts, thell be here in 2 days... im reading an old article on building a comptuer and it has some stuff about making a systems disk before the 1st boot.

well i didnt order a floppy drive, do i need one or will i be ok getting this thing running with out one?

thanks

-Chuck

asmodous,

Nope, you dont need a floppy drive. (Except if you are buying a SATA hard disk) Because, sata drivers can be installed only by using a floppy.
Disk partitioning,formatting, installing etc can be done with the bootable cd using your cd/dvd rom.

I've used my floopy several times in the last few days and not JUST for a SATA but for diagnostics as well. You can find them for as little as $10 so why NOT have one. Liz

great, so my copy of XP home will be fine to set everything up after i set up things in the bios?

works for me :) thanks

(sorry their will be a lot of stupid questions from me over the next few days.....)

liz

i dont mind getting one, im sure i will eventually, i just forgot to place it on my order and wanted to make sure i didnt need to go out and buy one tomorrow just to be able to boot up and install the OS for the first time

-Chuck

Yeap, but you don't need to make a copy of it. HOWEVER, before you transfer ANYTHING, read the posts in here and make sure you are aware that putting your copy of XP on a new computer may not work if you aren't careful. Liz

a lot of people don't need floppies but I think you should have one 'just in case'
and yes, SATA hard drives usually do require a floppy to install, if you are installing your OIS on one; otherwise you can get drivers from the internet while in Windows (if you've already got it installed on another drive) and install them

asmodous said:
well i didnt order a floppy drive, do i need one or will i be ok getting this thing running with out one?

No. Motherboard now days have BOOT FROM CD in the bios. And OS like Win98SE onwards come on bootable CDs.

The only thing that comes on floppy now days are Network Card Drivers. And if it a Realtek Chipset, they are automatically detectable my OS's such at Win 2k/Xp.

Part from that, the only other thing that came on floppy as beeing at the drivers for my JOYTECH USB to PSx Converter (which Windows Xp again automatically detects.

I just have my floppy drive on my computer just incase i need to make a boot disk as I do for work on computer from home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom