1gb or 2gb? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
View Poll Results: Which operating system are you using?
Microsoft Windows 5 100.00%
Apple Mac 0 0%
Linex 0 0%
My Very Own Operating System! 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 05-16-2005, 04:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default 1gb or 2gb?

I am stuck on weather to get one or two GB of RAM for my next computer. I really can't decide myself. Can you please vote for which you think I need?

Old 05-16-2005, 04:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Send a message via AIM to beedubaya

1GB is more than enough. Save the extra money from that 2nd gig and get a better video card or something.

Old 05-16-2005, 04:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Arguable. Depends on what you're using your computer for.

I'd certainly go for "more is better" in this case, though my computer usage demands a lot of RAM, but no demands on the graphics card. If, for example, you do heavy gaming, it may be worth shifting the budget towards a better graphics card as opposed to more RAM, as Beed said.
Error: Keyboard not attached. Please press F1 to continue. <pre>-------OS----------Gentoo Linux-------<br>------Browser-----Mozilla Firefox-----</pre><form action="http://www.srsyo.org/tfsearch.php" method="get"><input type="text" name="search"> <input type="submit" name="submit" value="Search the Forums, thanks to Emily"></form>

|||Official Forum Rules|||<hr>
Old 05-16-2005, 05:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

nah, 1gb is more than enough unless he's planning on rendering in 3d studio max, encoding a DVD, working in CAD all at the same time.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS

1 gig is enough for everything cept 3d video's and hardcore video and audio editing

And 640k ram, WTH
Old 05-16-2005, 05:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Techie

Originally posted by DJ-CHRIS
And 640k ram, WTH
Something people claim Bill Gates once said.

'640K of memory should be enough for anybody.'
Old 05-16-2005, 05:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Send a message via AIM to HAVOC Send a message via Yahoo to HAVOC

I think this is more of a matter of personal preference really. One thing is for sure, I say 1gig at minimum for any hardcore user. 1gig is normally more then enough for anyone... But, having $$$ and additional slots on your MOBO for another GIG won't hurt a bit. The more RAM the better I always say.

Both of my PC's have 2 GIG.

Dell 8300 - P4 3.4GHz / X800XT Pe / 2gig (4x512MB) Corsair Value DDR400
(Normal Usage = 28-32% used / Heavy Usage-Gaming 35-45% used) - This PC has TONS of things running at the same time. Lot's of neat little GUI programs, windowblinds, object desktop, object dock, ETC.. Lot's of other stuff in taskbar... Too much actually... THe highest i've ever got this one to was 59% - But that was more of an experiment that anything else... I just kept loading all kinds of applications. Photoshop, web, winamp, dvd movie, email, word, excel, studio 8, running AV scan, running spyware scan, - and tons of background stuff... funny thing is, it was slow... but it was very usable. Much better then alot of PC's i've used...

FX-55 - DFI - Lanparty SLI-DR - (2) eVGA 6800u SLI - CORSAIR XMS DDR400 (4x512MB) TWINXLPRO's
(Normal Usage = 15-20% used / Heavy Usage-Gaming 30-35% usage) - This PC has very little running in the background, only the absolute essentials... Firewall, AV, OS services, Normal stuff...

SO I guess really all anyone needs is 1 gig...
Old 05-16-2005, 05:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Techie

depends on what your doing with it, sometimes a good way to use extra RAM is as a ramdisk, which can be used for building a filesystem/toolchain,or storing data from a server, or even as space to run apps from

highest Ive ever seen one app use was 644mb, so a 1GB stick of RAM is pretty safe most of the time, whats funny is after all these years, most apps still dont use RAM nearly as nuch as they could to speed things up
Old 05-16-2005, 05:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

I've never seen someone continually post PC specs as much as you havoc....

in terms of overclocking 2gb is way worse than 1gb, it's harder to OC 1gb than it is to OC 512mb and it's way harder to OC 2gb than it is to OC 1gb
Old 05-16-2005, 05:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Send a message via AIM to HAVOC Send a message via Yahoo to HAVOC

We'll you are on these forums 24 hours a day, so i gues you would have seen most of my 378 posts. 10% of them probably had my PC spec in them.. Which I add for reference...

I guess i'll exlude them for now on, if anyone questions my spec's i'll refer them to you nubuis for verification...

Closed Thread