1996 Computer! (I know!) - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 09-09-2008, 01:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
Default Re: 1996 Computer! (I know!)

I have like 3 old Pentium machines that I used to run Linux and old Windows versions on all the time. I had a Pentium 133MHz, 5GB HDD, 64MB RAM, FDD and CDROM that I had DSL Linux and Puppy on (not at the same time lol) and both worked just fine. I personally liked DSL much more than Puppy, it had a better package management system and seemed to run faster. I later upgraded the CPU to a Pentium MMX 200MHz (my friend gave me the chip from a dead PC he got at a yard sale) and now have Windows 98 SE on it, though it's not really being used for anything, used to have an FTP server running on it. I also have a Pentium 75MHz HP that I had overclocked to 100MHz, but after I replaced the 133 with the MMX 200, I put the 133 chip in the HP. That I had Windows 95 on (never would work with Linux for some reason) and ran an HTTP server on it for a while. I also have a Pentium 133 laptop with 16MB RAM and a 1GB HDD, got it for free. I was only able to get an old version of Vector Linux running with GUI (DSL and Puppy would run but never get to the X server), and Vector's horrid driver system and lack of package management made me go straight back to Windows 95, the only OS that would recognize the sound card and PCMCIA 16 Bit Ethernet 10mbps card that I got with it.

I definitely say put it back together. Old technology can be fun to play around with, even if there's no real modern use for it. I also used the old PC to play some old software titles that I couldn't get working in XP or Vista due to outdated graphics libraries or incompatiblities with the OS. I also went on eBay and bought 5 PCI Ethernet cards for $1 to add networking capabilities to my old PC's so I could see how that worked (and since they don't have USB ports, that's the only way to copy files on without burning CD's).

Old 09-18-2008, 03:38 PM   #12 (permalink)
Super Techie

My Intel P2 350MHZ with 128MB ran Windows XP fine of course it died a week after the warranty.

Current PC
Windows 7 Pro x64
AMD 965 Black Edition 3.4GHz
ASUS Crossfire III
Corsair 650 Watt
Sapphire ATI 5770
500GB Samsung*2 | 150GB VelicoRaptor 10K HDD
1TB Samsung
C# Programmer+Web Programmer
Gamer :)
Old 09-19-2008, 06:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Dos 6.22 and Windows for Workgroups 3.11 should run well on that box. There are plenty of abandonware games around.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:23 PM   #14 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via Yahoo to JustinTime91
Wink Re: 1996 Computer! (I know!)

Originally Posted by Jawnskeel View Post
Okay, 3.1 GB storage capacity. Has a cd drive, no USB ports, got a 100Mbps ethernet card for it. I don't know what type of video card it has, but it's PCI. Like 200 watt PSU or something, some type of AMD chip. I took it apart, may have fried something, but I don't know. I wanted to try to test out working with linux on it. Is it worth it? Does have a floppy drive...like...2 sticks of 64mb ram. It's old, my father got it back in the day from a computer builder/reseller. 2008-1996= 12 year old computer lol

I was just wondering if it was worth the time to put back together, possibly not in working condition. Could I actually get some type of linux on it and is it possible that the computer can actually be used for something....useful? :freak:

It has Windows 98 on it right now, don't even know what version.
Do you shoot guns? If so, go get the biggest gun you have, and blow the crap outta that junk!

Closed Thread