160 GB HD won't workin p3 system

Status
Not open for further replies.

volkanb

Baseband Member
I have an old celeron 800 system with a ASUS CUSL2-C MOBO and i want to put in my new 160GB HD from WD to use the box as a fileserver. First he did not recognize my new HD correctly in the BIOS. then i upgraded to a beta BIOS and that works now. But when i want to partition the disk it doesn't work. tried to partition the drive with partition magic, with bootable windows xp cd, with bootable red hat 9 cd.

Why doesn't this work?

what sie does the bios recognize it as? you could try some 3rd party partitioning software such as partition magic from powerquest

I don't think ur mobo could support the harddrive ... those old boards don't have support for such large drives

In any case U can check n' see if u can find bios updates for ur mobo

you can try getting a bios update, other then that, the hard drive might be too new.

OK, i figured out what the problem was. It was the IDE cable:angry:
But now windows 2000 sees it as a 128 GB drive. i thought upgrading to sp4 after installation would solve the problem as i remember similar were solved with service packs on NT4. But no luck.
Now the weird thing is that i also tried a windows xp cd and at installation partitioning it saw the drive as a 152GB drive which come closer to the real size.
BIOS also sees the drive as a 160GB so now i'm confused again :(

you are not missing any space, the 8GB is not lost. this is a manufacturer ploy, a numbers game between difference of 1024MB=1GB and 1000GB=1GB. i think there is some windows overhead too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom