15,000rpms HDD's in raid 0

Status
Not open for further replies.

slvrstang

Daemon Poster
Would 2 very fast small(~20-40gigs) HDD's in a raid 0 configuration added to my system improve performance very much?

I would load windows+games onto these drives and then everything else on the 120gig i already have.

Yes it would condiderably be faster. All though you only get 10k rpm hard drives in raid because 15000 rpm are scsi hard drives and you need an scsi pci controller card, because your mobo most likely wont have the connection. However you can setup 10,000's in a few differnt raid configurtions. You could even just setup 1 hard drive in raid and your other hard drive on ide and be fine too.

The only improvement would be in loading times for your levels etc... so unless you're using your system for a Network base or CAD or something with many file swapping, you won't notice much difference. I wouldn't put my money there. Those 10000 RPM drives are much more expensive than 7200 and give you the speed of a medium SCSI drive. Change your 9200SE card in your system 2 instead. You can read more at tom's hardware or at anandtech.

zerozero is right, however i do a lot of video editing and pictures and webdesign. But mostly video. So in my case the faster hard drives would be good. But for gaming you could just go and get a normal 20gb for 50 bucks and install windows xp and software to it. same concept but for gaming i dont think you need the raptors.

zerozero said:
The only improvement would be in loading times for your levels etc... so unless you're using your system for a Network base or CAD or something with many file swapping, you won't notice much difference. I wouldn't put my money there. Those 10000 RPM drives are much more expensive than 7200 and give you the speed of a medium SCSI drive. Change your 9200SE card in your system 2 instead. You can read more at tom's hardware or at anandtech.

I just got that video card, because it is the most cost effective PCI!!! card that is made. There are some that like 800$ and are still crap. If i could have gotten something better....i would have. And i think i will hold off on the HDD's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom