137.4 GB HD limit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flowzarus

Beta member
I bought a 250 GB Western Digital over the weekend but can't get it past the 137.4 GB 24-bit addressing limit.

a) Motherboard is Abit KT7ARaid running Bios A9 (48-bit addressing is covered in this Bios)
b) Windows XP, Service Pack 1 has been installed
c) Atapi.sys has been upgraded to the latest version (5.1.2600.1135)
d) Updated registry w/ a D-word value of 1 with a new registry entry of "EnableBigLba"

Checked my Bios Highpoint controller and it shows the HD as a Western Digital 250GB so that confirms (to me) that the bios is fine.

Ran a Samsung Program that is supposed to add the registry value to turn on EnableBigLba. It didn't do anything sending back the error, "48-bit addressing is already active". So that confirms (to me again) that I set the registry correctly.

I've also just updated my Via4in1 drivers, now I'm stuck and can't find anything else to try...any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

So if your bios shows that it's a 250 GB HDD, are you saying that WinXP reports it as a 137 GB drive? Log in as the admin and use the disk management utility to see what capacity it reports as.

Maybe try updating to SP 2 or, you could install any updates from M$ website that relates to your situation.

Figured it out today. There is a website, its down now but I believe the address is http://www.48bitlba.com/ . It explains how my Highpoint controller (2.32) is the last official release but then they had an unofficial release of 2.34.

So although Abit said my board was fine w/ 48-bit adressing, it wasn't.

Thanks for reading in and your suggestions.

Flowzarus said:
Figured it out today. There is a website, its down now but I believe the address is http://www.48bitlba.com/ . It explains how my Highpoint controller (2.32) is the last official release but then they had an unofficial release of 2.34.

So although Abit said my board was fine w/ 48-bit adressing, it wasn't.

Thanks for reading in and your suggestions.

Good find Flowzarus, thanks for the link, its good to keep in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom